Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > TECHNICAL > Technical Forum

Technical Forum Technical issues like configuring, optimizing and building dedicated web hosting servers and more.

Old 03-11-2009, 23:54   #1
alvin
SGWHT Newbie

alvin is on a distinguished road
About Public IP address

How do we go about applying for a public IP address? A public IP address will be given only if we subscribe to the business broadband plan from Singtel?

If my application requires a public IP address, my application can only be host on a delicated server?

A subscription to a delicated server plan will provide me a public IP adderss as well?

I would like to play around with Asterisk, what would be the cheapest plan that I can subscribe to for me to setup and test on Asterisk (or AsteriskNOW), FreePBX, and/or SwitchVOX?

Thanks.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-11-2009, 16:57   #2
DotCom
SGWHT Newbie

DotCom is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Quite surprised that this topic has not been responded. Since we're also offering similar solutions, i hope my input will be helpful.

All IP addresses are administered by APNIC and ARIN. For datacenters or companies who wish to be assigned to their own range or classes of IP addresses, they will have to sign up as members of these organizations and pay certain amount of fees in order to start applying for the addresses,.

As a startup, developer or consumer, the closest that you can get a dedicated/static IP address will either be from a hosting company or business broadband plan (if can be from any ISP).

A typical subscription of dedicated server from a hosting company should provide you with the static IP address that you need. However, you can consider other options like Virtual Private Server (VPS) or hosted IP-PBX if you are not ready to handle the full costs and management capacity of a standard dedicated server setup.

If you intent is plainly to play around with these opensource VoIP software, you might want to try an internal setup within your home or office intranet. It is still being relevant to the industry as many companies adopt internal telephony setup to reduce traditional calling costs or even high internet charges (for internal calls, they can be routed internally within the bandwidth capacity of your infrastructure, hence free).

Hope i helped, thank you.
DotCom is offline   Reply With Quote