Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > MAIN DISCUSSION > Reseller Hosting Forum

Reseller Hosting Forum Reselling web hosting and dedicated servers. Topics covered include considerations when choosing a reseller, various dedicated servers or web hosting reseller schemes, etc

Old 21-03-2010, 15:25   #1
faris
SGWHT Newbie

faris is on a distinguished road
What is the cheapest SG reseller Singapore host can offer?

Hello,

Everywhere I go, SG reseller are really costly.

What is the cheapest price you can get?

Datacenter: Qala probably
Follow us on Twitter today @PrestonHost
faris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-03-2010, 15:01   #2
kchui
SGWHT Newbie

kchui is on a distinguished road
you can try comparing with other providers such as webvisions or viewqwest.

I think the rates are also competitive.
kchui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 13:04   #3
joelckw
SGWHT Newbie

joelckw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by faris
Hello,

Everywhere I go, SG reseller are really costly.

What is the cheapest price you can get?

Datacenter: Qala probably
I have come across from prices as low as $50/yr.
http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Simpler & Better!
joelckw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 12:55   #4
faris
SGWHT Newbie

faris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelckw
I have come across from prices as low as $50/yr.
Is it a reseller hosting and which datacenter is it from?

Do you mind PM-ing me the website or telling me which company is it from?
Follow us on Twitter today @PrestonHost
faris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 19:23   #5
Oops!
SGWHT Veteran Member

Oops! will become famous soon enough
Actually by asking such questions, you don't seem to understand the hosting industry, or being a good business person.

Any reseller can be as good as free. Geographical difference make little difference.

The consumption of a hard disk capacity is based on the actual data stored on it, while the consumption of hosting capacity is based on disk space allocation. Meaning, even though i may have sold 2 x 1GB package, but each of the user may have consumed just 500MB. That means i have the potential opportunity to sell another 2 x 1GB package to fill up this whole 2GB actual capacity, assuming that diskspace usage do not fluctuate upwards distinctively. This is a practice called overselling. It also means the bigger your customer base is, the more storage allocation wastage there will be, and you have a greater capacity to oversell.

It's a very controversial practice, yet its also very common. All your local Internet Service Providers (ISP) work this way. It creates economy of scale if managed properly, but it leads to bottleneck and service failure if all users decides to consume at an instant.

Being in Singapore, if a 1GB package can be sold for $10.00 per month with good stream of customers, why should i intentionally reduce the price?

As mentioned, the bigger your customer base is, the greater your capacity is to oversell. With US being a natural bigger market, US hosting providers can naturally reduce their price to the bits.

Furthermore, hosting your content in Singapore is usually done with certain logical consideration. Geographically, if your website is in Singapore, it's supposed to be delivered onto your local users' screens faster. Furthermore, some companies or even individuals prefer working with local hosting providers, for they should be locally registered and easier to escalate complains should there be any disputes. If there is no 24/7 support, being in the same timezone with your hosting provider should mean greater efficiency in the receipt of assistance. With these and many other reasons, there's no reason to compete endlessly with overseas hosting providers who oversell.

Hope i'm still being relevant, though i elaborated.
Oops! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:30   #6
posh81
SGWHT Newbie

posh81 is on a distinguished road
Actually what I felt is that some US hosting provider able to provide such low price partly is due to the market is too competitive and they really have the technologies to cater the needs.

I agree that location is important where by it is advisable to take server which is near to the customer that you want to support. However, it also have to depend whether your customer visitor comes from the same location.
posh81 is offline   Reply With Quote