Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > LEARNING CENTER > Server Administration

Server Administration General dedicated servers administration topics.

Old 17-04-2010, 23:13   #1
Sausage
SGWHT Newbie

Sausage is on a distinguished road
How hard is it to recover data from a dead server?

I'm asking because my web host has been down for more than a month already, and I'm not expecting it to recover, but I really want my file backups so I can start over with another better web host. The thing is, the current host keeps saying that the server refuses to start up, so he can't give me the backup.

I was wondering, if the hard disk is still working, would it be possible to just remove the hard disk, plug it into a normal PC, and recover the files on it? I'm not an IT person, so I'm not sure if servers are like regular PCs, so could anyone enlighten me?

Old 19-04-2010, 22:54   #2
tanfwc
SGWHT Premium Member

tanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura about
Ask your provider what is the error message that your server refuse to boot up. Maybe a picture might help too.
Old 22-04-2010, 21:00   #3
Sausage
SGWHT Newbie

Sausage is on a distinguished road
Can't even get a response.. no contact number, no msn.

So my question is still, can a hard disk on a webserver be removed and used directly on another computer that is not configured as a webserver? ie just read the files as regular files.
Old 23-04-2010, 01:32   #4
tanfwc
SGWHT Premium Member

tanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura about
yes, possible provided you know how to access the parition ;)
Old 15-05-2010, 20:23   #5
vheeds
SGWHT Newbie

vheeds is on a distinguished road
Hello Sausage,

>>The thing is, the current host keeps saying that the server refuses to start >>up, so he can't give me the backup.

Ask your hosting provider to console while booting up and check to see if it is hard disk problem or related to some other hardwares.

Instead of trying all the possibilities and to minimize the downtime, they can perform the Os reload in the new hard drive and connect the current hard drive as slave. When the server comes up, they can install the webserver, control panel, needed softwares and then, they can easily restore the accounts.

This is the best possible way to handle the situation. Advice your host accordingly.
►Email: sales@vheeds.com
►Read the latest technology news @ http://blog.vheeds.com
►Exclusive Introductory Offer! Server Hardening - $ 20 only | Dedicated Server Support - $500 only | Contact us today and avail these offers.
vheeds is offline   Reply With Quote