Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > LEARNING CENTER > Server Administration

Server Administration General dedicated servers administration topics.

Old 26-07-2004, 16:21   #1
shawnho
SGWHT Premium Member

shawnho is a jewel in the roughshawnho is a jewel in the roughshawnho is a jewel in the roughshawnho is a jewel in the rough
INFORMATION: General steps to move an account between servers

Follow this guide at your own risk, im not responsible for any damages you incur !

Before you do any transfer, make sure to backup everything and not only leave the backup on the old server, but also download it to your computer to make sure its safe.
  1. 2 days before the scheduled transfer, edit the DNS zone of the domain(s) at the old server to be transferred. Change the TTL to 900, and make sure to edit the serial number also to show that you had made changes to the DNS zone. Format of the serial number is example : [2004][03][12][02] . Of course there will not be brackets in the real value, but here i use them to show you the meaning of the value. First 4 digits represent the year (2004) , then the month (03) , then the day of the month (12) and lastly 02 represents the 2nd change that you have made to the DNS zone in this day only.

2. Carry out the transfer, which i wont explain how to do so in here, but you may look at the other threads for reference.
  3. After transfer, edit the DNS zone on the old server to point to the shared IP on which the account resides on the new server.
  4. Then edit the DNS zone on the new server to point to the old nameservers temporarily, or else the site will not work. Also, edit the TTL of the domain to change to 900 which stands for 15 mins.
  5. At the domain registrar, change the nameserver of the domain to point to the new nameservers your host provides.
  6. 24 hours later, you may edit the DNS zone on the new server to point to the new nameservers, and change the TTL back to the old value which i assume is 86400 .

From step 4 , all traffic should be going to the new server, just that it will go through the old one first. However, if you changed the settings at the domain registrar immediately, 24 to 48 hours later traffic should be going directly to the new server already. Make sure to leave all data at least 1 week on the old server and check to make sure everything is going well !

For a guide on how to transfer accounts between 2 cpanel hosts please look here. Hope you all have found this useful.

By Shawn

Last edited by shawnho; 07-10-2004 at 16:51.
shawnho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26-07-2004, 16:25   #2
tanfwc
SGWHT Premium Member

tanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura about
email will not be affected using this method rite?
Old 26-07-2004, 16:41   #3
shawnho
SGWHT Premium Member

shawnho is a jewel in the roughshawnho is a jewel in the roughshawnho is a jewel in the roughshawnho is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanfwc
Mails wont be lost, after step 4 mails will start to go to the new server. Someone please correct me if im wrong
shawnho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2005, 10:40   #4
Necroist
SGWHT Newbie

Necroist will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the very informative steps.

I'm still unclear about step 3, at step 3, when you mean, change the dns zone of the old server, change which particular zone?

It would be great if you could share some example of the changes done to the named.conf and the specific domain zones.
Necroist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2005, 12:01   #5
choongseng
SGWHT Senior Member

choongseng has a spectacular aura aboutchoongseng has a spectacular aura about
in your step 6:
Quote:
24 hours later, you may edit the DNS zone on the new server to point to the new nameservers, and change the TTL back to the old value which i assume is 86400 .
should the nameservers be the new IP of the shared hosting instead?
choongseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2005, 12:12   #6
choongseng
SGWHT Senior Member

choongseng has a spectacular aura aboutchoongseng has a spectacular aura about
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanfwc
shawn didn't mentioned on the MX records which comes with a priority number.

To be secure:
1) add a higher priority MX record with the IP of the new email server in your old dns hosting.
2) wait for TTL (depends on how long is your TTL), try send an email to see if you get it at the new server.
3) ensure that your new dns host have the correct MX record with IP to your new email server.
4) switch over to new nameservers in the domain registrar. (assume that you've take all the care of other IPs as in shawn's post).
5) invalidate the MX record (with old email host IP) by deleting it.
6) Ask your host to delete the email account (the entire domain account) in their email server, to prevent internal routing of emails.

regards,
choongseng
choongseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2005, 12:18   #7
tanfwc
SGWHT Premium Member

tanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura about
hahaha...see my post date and time, it was very long ago. Now I already know how to do a proper and faster transfer of servers