Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > COMMUNITY > Suggestions and Feedback

Suggestions and Feedback Comments, questions and suggestions on Singapore Web Hosting Talk.

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:23   #1
D a v
Banned

D a v is on a distinguished road
Banning System

I suggest you change the banning system. The most obvious reason for my permanent ban on "David" was because I wanted to sell a single hosting plan and so I put it in the main web hosting forum instead of offers. However, I posted a single time and my post was hardly pointless.

I do not see a rule right now that restricts me from doing so. There is no sticky in the main web hosting forums that tells me that it is illegal. Nor are there are any rules that I can find, really... So it isn't illegal for me to create this second account yeah?

But what the hell kind of forum bans a member for posting in the wrong section? Most normal forums I've been to move your thread to the correct location rather than taking extra time to ban them forever for all the wrong reasons. My post was not spam because it did belong somewhere in the forum. Most forums don't even give warnings for posting in the wrong section.

This is my thread:
http://sgwebhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11680

And to the replier: yes, I was looking for hosting a while ago. But that doesn't make a difference... it's illegal now for me to sell hosting after I was looking for hosting previously?

My suggestion for the banning system: make your bans more fair. Most normal people would give you a warning for spamming first, and the second time ban you but for a day at most. Unless you post in every thread in every forum advertising your host like crazy, there is absolutely no reason to ban members. It really hurts you as well because you'll be losing members.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:24   #2
D a v
Banned

NOTE: As you can read (maybe not though), this isn't a hardcore flaming thread trying to appeal my ban. Take this simply as a suggestion from an unfairly banned member, and maybe also an appeal. But I don't think I'll be coming back much or at all.
Old 07-09-2007, 15:49   #3
tanfwc
SGWHT Premium Member

tanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura about
Read this.

http://sgwebhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7184

You got to respect the rules lay down in here. If you want to be a good member, follow rules.
Old 07-09-2007, 19:38   #4
D a v
Banned

But could you specify where it says my post was illegal? Because I don't see that it deserved a ban.
Old 07-09-2007, 20:32   #5
choon
SGWHT Senior Member

choon has a spectacular aura aboutchoon has a spectacular aura about
Please read the forum rules:
http://sgwebhostingtalk.com/faq.php?...ht_forum_rules

By posting offers in main forums (non-advertising), you are sure asking for trouble... ...
External/One-Year WHM/cPanel licenses | Linux/FreeBSD Server Management | Xen VPS Solutions (with/without WHM/cPanel or DirectAdmin)
Old 07-09-2007, 21:41   #6
D a v
Banned

It's hardly asking for trouble. And if royong really is sick of "spammers" (which is usually incorrectly used on this forum; the phrase you're looking for is probably "people who put non-spam threads in the wrong place but are labelled spammers and permanently banned anyway") he should just get some moderators.

I'm sorry if I didn't see the hidden rules and was not fully aware of your incorrect spamming definition and way-out-of-proportion banning rules. I think your minds are in the right place when banning spammers etc. to try and build a stronger community but you're just not doing it right. You should have more specific rules. Have a forum redirect to the rules to make them obvious. Have warnings and temporary bans vs. a strict permanent ban policy for any tiny incident. They're not even incidents if they're this small.

I've never seen a forum that bans people for posting something in the incorrect forum. In my opinion that's just plain ridiculous. If you can't be bothered to move threads, get some moderators to do that for you.

With all these strict rules, there's no point in trying to start a discussion that leads anywhere because you're probably going to violate some rule one way or another. There should be some freedom. Otherwise it's a terrible forum.
Old 07-09-2007, 22:22   #7
tanfwc
SGWHT Premium Member

tanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura about
Look at how many people are still surviving in here. If you can't live with the rules, too bad.

There is already much more freedom in here than WHT.
Old 07-09-2007, 23:25   #8
D a v
Banned

...... I never said I couldn't live with the rules. People make mistakes, but all I'm saying is that the rules aren't enforced fairly. Permanent ban for misplacing a thread is definitely unfair. And my previous post just stated that SGWHT should at least show you where the rules are without having to go look for them.

How many people still surviving in here? Not many, really. This forum isn't really that active. I bet if we were allowed at least one warning for "spamming" once or maybe even a temporary ban we'd have a lot more activity.
Old 08-09-2007, 00:43   #9
choon
SGWHT Senior Member

If you think you deceive a warning instead of a permanent ban then kindly contact royong personally instead of creating this thread as I see you are breaking another rule... duplicate username in this forum:
Quote:
You can only register a maximum of one account per person, regardless of how many companies you represent.
External/One-Year WHM/cPanel licenses | Linux/FreeBSD Server Management | Xen VPS Solutions (with/without WHM/cPanel or DirectAdmin)
Old 08-09-2007, 19:09   #10
D a v
Banned

I'm sorry, I thought this was the Suggestions & Feedback forum. As in the forum where you can post your suggestions and feedback. I don't even care about appealing my ban really, because it's not like I'm ever going to come back here except for periodically checking this thread.
Old 09-09-2007, 16:06   #11
choon
SGWHT Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a v
I'm sorry, I thought this was the Suggestions & Feedback forum. As in the forum where you can post your suggestions and feedback. I don't even care about appealing my ban really, because it's not like I'm ever going to come back here except for periodically checking this thread.
Yes this is a suggestions and feedback but if you break forum rules (duplicate accounts) then it is just a matter of time all your accounts in SGWHT will be banned. If you do not care about getting your accounts banned, then why bother to post in this forum as all your posts even in this suggestions and feedback forum might be tossed depending on SGWHT admin's decision? No offense intended just curious... ...
Old 09-09-2007, 21:57   #12
CoolRock
SGWHT Veteran Member

CoolRock has a spectacular aura aboutCoolRock has a spectacular aura about
Why not someone get Roy to post his view on this matter? Till then, everyone please chill out. Just my 2 cents.

IT Show 2010

Looking for Microsoft Exchange Account
Old 10-09-2007, 17:58   #13
D a v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by choon
Yes this is a suggestions and feedback but if you break forum rules (duplicate accounts) then it is just a matter of time all your accounts in SGWHT will be banned. If you do not care about getting your accounts banned, then why bother to post in this forum as all your posts even in this suggestions and feedback forum might be tossed depending on SGWHT admin's decision? No offense intended just curious... ...
Can you read? I thought I already clearly said that I don't care about my account being unbanned or not, and to clear things up for you, no, I do not care if this account is banned as well.

"If you do not care about getting your accounts banned, then why bother to post in this forum as all your posts even in this suggestions and feedback forum might be tossed depending on SGWHT admin's decision?" Is the answer to that question not extremely obvious? Because I don't like the BANNING SYSTEM (note that "Banning System" is the title of my thread, and my intention of that would be to try and relate my title to my thread's subject) and management. And can't I think that even though I don't care if my accounts get banned further?

You're curious why I'm ranting about the banning system when I've already stated that I've been directly affected by it? Your ignorance can be compared to Homer Simpson. You know, maybe you're not ignorant but you have such a hard time trying to make a sentence that makes any sense and I can't understand what the hell you're trying to tell me.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:24   #14
choon
SGWHT Senior Member

I can read of course. From my understanding...

1. You register an account and used that account to post offer in main forum with assumption about there is no rules might be due to you unable to find or don't bother to find/ask.

2. SGWHT admin noticed about your offer in main forum which break rules thus banned you.

3. You are not happy about it and don't even bother to contact the SGWHT admin to sort this matter out personally/privately but to register another account to post your so called feedback in this thread.

4. You don't care about forum rules nor your account(s) getting ban as your main intention is just want to voice your unhappiness about the banning system.

Is the above true? I guess so... so I can understand your feeling and all your other "polite replies to me directly especially related to ignorance" I will just ignore as I am not here to make you as my enemy nor offend you -- not my intention!!!

So now think about the SGWHT admin position!

Very often spammers post spams in this forum and due to that SGWHT admin created a one-strike out banning system as part of the counter-spammers measure. Not all system will be ideal and good for all members especially with limited helpers in this forum.

A new member register an account and posted an offer in the main forum which is not allowed and to us (or some of us) it is spam regardless how you word it about "an offer post being posted in wrong forum not consider spam" then think about if an offer email get to your mailbox is that consider spam which that email not suppose to get to your mailbox in the first place = so not spam la :P

Now the banned member registered another account to post feedback/comment about the banning system. If you as SGWHT admin, what you will do?

Personally I think this thread is going no where which is why I asked you to contact SGWHT admin directly to get this matter sorted out privately instead of trying to post all your feedbacks/comments as a banned member who don't care about forum rules nor account(s) getting banned.
Old 11-09-2007, 20:22   #15
D a v
Banned

1. You are completely stupid. Why do you assume that I didn't think there were no rules? Maybe... I didn't find them anywhere! I thought I mentioned that before. There's no link in the Announcements forum or anywhere really, and I assumed it wasn't in the FAQ section because most people don't use that feature in vBulletin.

2. I didn't know where the rules were and I was unaware that I was breaking a rule so major that I was permanently banned

3. How do you know I didn't bother contacting the admin? ... I definitely did, and so far I haven't gotten a response. I submitted an e-mail via the Contact Us form before I even posted this thread. Btw, I did give feedback. I can tell you don't know what feedback or suggestions mean, because if you read any of my posts you would know that I did give some feedback and suggestions to improve this forum's banning system. Yes, it's a "so-called" feedback thread because it really is, idiot.

4. Since when did I not care about the forum rules? How else would I get my suggestion across and gain comments from other members? And yes, I do want to voice my unhappiness. Is there a problem with that? I voiced my unhappiness about the banning system, and gave some suggestions about how to improve it. That is perfectly fine and normal.

My old account was not a new member with just one post. Why don't you find out when I joined before you make your accusations? My old account's user was "David" btw. If there are limited helpers, why not be like a normal forum and get some moderators?

Maybe my thread did seem like a spam bot or something posting a thread in the wrong place. However, if you read my post at all, it wouldn't seem like a spam bot. Anyway, maybe I deserve to be banned in the fantasy world of yours and royong's but at most a couple of days. Definitely not forever. Spam bots, sure, but I'm actually a member and if royong is so ignorant and unresponsive towards his members, then he doesn't deserve anyone to be on this forum.

If I were the admin, I wouldn't be an idiot like you and judge people by their join date and how many posts they have to know if they have anything worthwhile to say. I doubt royong is as stupid as to completely disregard my posts and look directly at my join date and amount of posts to decide about this thread. I know you are.

I agree this thread is sort of going no where. What the hell is the point of this forum then if threads here aren't read and go completely to waste? Is it because people here can't take any form of constructive critizism? Probably.
Old 11-09-2007, 20:43   #16
tanfwc
SGWHT Premium Member

You are insulting Choon and Roy here. Since you managed to insult them by calling them stupid, then the more you are deserved to be ban.

Come on, you are the one leaving in your own fantasy world.

I see that you are starting up a hosting company in your previous post, I am wonder how you are treating your customer. I doubt there is even any customer at all.

If you want people to respect you, respect the others first. Since you have throw away your respect for Choon & Roy, I am throwing my respect for you totally.

Shame on you.
Old 11-09-2007, 20:59   #17
D a v
Banned

Oh, so just because choon is a respected member that means I have to treat him like a god and never disagree with anything he says?

My hosting company is not opened yet. And I've been busy as of late, so I don't know when I'm going to get around to finish coding the order & client areas.

Treating customers is different than treating fellow members on a forum. You know why? Customers are people who pay you, so you should treat when with respect whether they're being nice or not. Members, on the other hand... I only post opposing messages against theirs when I oppose of what they're saying. I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense to you.

Since when did I insult royong? I'm giving him a suggestion to improve the banning system here. Please try reading all the posts before replying.
Old 12-09-2007, 00:03   #18
vdomainhost
SGWHT Senior Member

vdomainhost is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your suggestion, I am sure the admin are looking into it
Contact Us on how to make money with your website now !
Visit our office : 246L Upper Thomson Road, Singapore 574370 (Above Roti Prata House)
Old 12-09-2007, 00:10   #19
dennis
SGWHT Premium Member

dennis has a spectacular aura aboutdennis has a spectacular aura aboutdennis has a spectacular aura about
chill guys, make peace man
Old 12-09-2007, 01:51   #20
choon
SGWHT Senior Member

Quote:
You are completely stupid. Why do you assume that I didn't think there were no rules? Maybe... I didn't find them anywhere! I thought I mentioned that before. There's no link in the Announcements forum or anywhere really, and I assumed it wasn't in the FAQ section because most people don't use that feature in vBulletin.
Since you started to attack me repeatedly... the fact is you don't even bother to ask others about the rules!

Quote:
I didn't know where the rules were and I was unaware that I was breaking a rule so major that I was permanently banned
Yes, you deserve it now since after knowing the forum rules (I posted the location of the rules) you don't care. Doing personal attacks you break one rule. Register another account you break another rule. So if I am SGWHT admin, your suggestion and feedback (this thread) is no value as what type of thinking is this... you expect members/admin to listen to you where your status is "PERMANENT BANNED" and ignoring forum rules repeatedly?

You are free to oppose anything but not to the extend of doing personal attacks. So you think that you oppose banning system is fine but I oppose your suggestion/feedback in this forum isn't fine and get your personal attacks? Even I repeatedly highlight to you about you are breaking even more forum rules you seems like thinking that your feedback is entitled in this suggestions/feedbacks forum? See your account status... if you are a normal member I am sure royong welcome your comments and suggestions but if you are a banned member... I highly doubt so. Is that clear? By not caring about forum rules you are in fact not respecting SGWHT management.

FAQ is a common place to learn more information about the site. Your assumption for not reading FAQ doesn't give you justified excuse not to follow forum rules. You can't find but you don't even bother to ask others about where to read forum rules! So who is idiot here? Ok, I am an idiot as you claimed who know how to find the location of the forum rules so who are you now? Worse than an idiot? I sincerely hope not!!!

Your customers you respect but not for fellow members here huh? If that is really your thinking then I will strongly suggest you to leave and never come back to this forum since any members who disagree with you might get your personal attacks... who want this type of people around?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:25   #21
D a v
Banned

My attacking your personally and not asking other members who are probably normal, unlike you, are completely unrelated. So please don't drag that into your sentence because it makes you look even worse. And I didn't think that I was even breaking any rule when I posted my "spam" thread, so why was there any reason to check the rules? Do you check the rules every time you post to make sure your post is 100% rule-abiding? I certainly don't.

And maybe royong is as shallow as to ignore messages from banned people. If he is, what's the use of this forum? And haven't any of you heard of the saying, "Learn from your mistakes"? It was a mistake banning me permanently, so I'm trying to help you have a normal banning system. And so just because you didn't know where the rules were, made one mistake, and was pemanently banned, it automatically means that you have absolutely nothing worthwhile to say?

You're free to oppose this thread. In fact, you did. But I'm free to oppose what you say if I don't agree with it, as well. Maybe I did call you stupid a couple of times, and I'm sorry if that offended you. I didn't mean to make any personal attacks, I was just trying to reply to your posts. Most people would understand. You probably won't.

And it may seem like not following the rules would be disrespecting the SGWHT management ... but if you think about it, no, it's not. If you own a forum and someone repeatedly spams and you ban them, you don't feel disrespected. You just ban them. And not permanently, either.

Do you know why I didn't look in the FAQ? I already said, a lot of forums don't use that feature in vBulletin. Some very developed, stable, and active forums do but I didn't think this forum met all of those criterias. And you're really blowing way out of proportion me not following the rules. Yes, I did "spam" but I've already tried explaining it to you - I didn't know that would get me permanently banned because royong doesn't like dealing with people that accidentally break rules. That's not the attitude I'd want for a moderator. And do you think I meant to break any rules? No, not at the beginning, however, I was still permanently banned. So I created another account to voice my unhappiness and a suggestion to improve the banning system.

Quote:
Ok, I am an idiot as you claimed who know how to find the location of the forum rules so who are you now? Worse than an idiot? I sincerely hope not!!!
What the hell does this even mean? I can't understand most of it. Let me try to ... translate it into English.

"Ok, so I am an idiot ........

I don't even know where to begin translating that really. But if I can understand some of it properly, you're saying that I'm an idiot based solely on the fact that I couldn't find the forum rules? I'm sorry but I find more than one incident of ... not finding something before I call people idiots, and you should too.

Where did you get that I don't respect any member? Not here, no, but on the other forums I go to there are definitely people that I respect. I don't respect people like you here though. I don't respect everyone. For example, people who I think are idiots by their posts, I don't respect. People who have really good points and make a lot of sense I do respect. That's how respect works, choon. Is that clear or do you need some more explaining?
Old 12-09-2007, 13:07   #22
royong
SGWHT Administrators

royong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to behold
look david - you got banned because you place an offer in the wrong forum. period. you broke a rule. you emailed me to citing you dissatisfaction about the ban and as to why it couldn't be moved instead etc. etc. i replied with 2 hours as to WHY the ban was in place and HOW you are get your ban lifted. all that was needed was a return email from you. that return email never came. so don't go about telling others that the ban is permanent etc. you never bothered to return the email.

now, you are breaking another rule by registering again and are getting yourself into more issues with members of the community. your point being? that SGWHT's banning system is trash and should be changed?

if that's the case, then fine. your point is taken into consideration. however, the current rules remains as it is.

the rules in SGWHT are to be observed. every member here knows to contact the admin and how i deal with issues. i have never had any issue with anyone here that cannot be deal with in a peaceful matter. you initiated an email to me and i replied within 2 hours as why and how we can move forward. i never said that the ban was permanent. all that was needed was a return email from you. however, that did not arrive.

i see no need for this thread to go on any further. you broke another rule and your account will be banned. this thread will be closed. the other member can read and make their own judgement.

i remain contactable via email and you know how to get me. if need, i am also willing to meet in person or hold a teleconversation ... there is no necessity to bring issues to such a state.
Closed Thread