Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > TECHNICAL > Technical Forum

Technical Forum Technical issues like configuring, optimizing and building dedicated web hosting servers and more.

Old 21-12-2004, 13:49   #1
priyanka
SGWHT Newbie

priyanka is on a distinguished road
Smile Introduction to FTP!

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and is a standard application protocol that uses the Internet’s TCP/IP protocol to transfer files from one computer to another.

FTP is a very common process today. FTP is commonly used to transfer web pages from the creator’s computer to the server where the web site is situated. Also FTP is used to download programs and files to your computer from a server.

How do I use FTP?

To use FTP you will need to install FTP software on your computer. There are many freely available FTP programs on the Internet such as, FTP explorer (http://www.ftpx.com) and Smart FTP (http://www.smartftp.com).

How do I connect with FTP?

Follow the steps below to connect to a server, to upload files using FTP Explorer:

Open FTP Explorer.

Click on the connect button on the toolbar or select connect from the Tools menu.

In the Profile Name text, enter a name to give your FTP connection.

In the Host Address text box enter the address of the server you are connecting to (this can either be the DNS entry or the IP Address).

Enter the Port number that the server accepts FTP connections on (the default port for FTP is 21).

Tick the Use PASV option, if your computer is behind a firewall, which does not allow external FTP connections.

Tick the Use Firewall option if your computer is located behind a firewall.

Either enter a user name for the FTP login or tick the Anonymous option (the anonymous option will only work if the server is set up to allow anonymous FTP connections – if this is selected go to step 10).

Enter the user’s password in the Password text box.

In the Initial path text box, enter the path on the server, where you want your connection to start at – this is optional.

In the Attempts text box enter the number of times to try the FTP connection if fails, you will need to have at least 1 in this text box.

In the Download path you can specify the path on your computer where to save the files downloaded from the server – this is optional, you can specify this later if you like.

To establish the connection with the server click on the Connect button.

How do I upload files using FTP?

Once you have established your connection with the server the next step is to upload your files to the server. The following describes how to do this:

Go to the path on the server where you want to upload your files to.

In the Tools menu click on the Upload button.

Select the file or files that you want to upload (to select more than one file hold down the CTRL key).

NOTE: You can also upload files by dragging and dropping them to the directory/folder on the server.

Click on the Open button. Your file will now be uploaded to the server. (You will see this uploading process in the dialog box.)

How do I download files using FTP?

You can also use FTP to download files to your computer from a server. The following describes how to download a file.

Make sure you are connected to the server.

Go to the file that you want to download.

Right click on the file and select Download To..

Select the path on your computer where you want the file to be saved to.

The file will now be downloaded to your computer. (You will see this downloading process happening in the dialog box.)

How do I end my connection?

You can end the connection by simply clicking on the Disconnect button on the tool bar or by clicking on Disconnect from the Tools menu.
We help in making your dreams come true on the Internet!
priyanka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2005, 14:32   #2
speedlight
SGWHT Newbie

speedlight is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I don't use fancy FTP programs as mentioned. I use command line method to upload and download files.
speedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 21:11   #3
psychoyan
SGWHT Newbie

psychoyan has a spectacular aura aboutpsychoyan has a spectacular aura about
but i tink using FTP client is rather useful. Why else would they exist if its not for the better? would u tell ur clients to use command line too? (no offence though) n ur article priyanka, is good for those (individuals) who have yet to experience FTP. Can refer them here liow. lol.

www.peabraintalk.com
psychoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 23:41   #4
choongseng
SGWHT Senior Member

choongseng has a spectacular aura aboutchoongseng has a spectacular aura about
Primitive doesn't mean basic.
Pampered by GUI, ppl nowaways start off with GUI first rather than command line.
:-) a pretty good intro for beginners.

regards,
choongseng

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlight
Hello,

I don't use fancy FTP programs as mentioned. I use command line method to upload and download files.
choongseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 12:31   #5
speedlight
SGWHT Newbie

speedlight is on a distinguished road
Yes, we are from different era, you start off FTP using GUI, features rich FTP client. I start off (and now) still using FTP on Unix/Linux platform.

minus the drag and drop, you can specify various commands which not all GUI support, and furthermore it is easier for troubleshooting on FTP whether is it related to passive or active FTP or bandwidth issues.

learn the fundamentals if you want to find out more.
speedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 12:52   #6
choongseng
SGWHT Senior Member

choongseng has a spectacular aura aboutchoongseng has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb

wow... linux geeks..

well, I start off from MSDOS, and infact I do prefer command lines as well, it is faster, but only given one condition, which is you must be familiar with it.
but compare to GUI, a novice can learn and use it fast (much much more faster).

furthermore... a novice probably don't even know what is active or passive FTP.. LOL, or to say, they dun really interested to know, just complaint "FTP doesn't work!!"

I think at the end of the day, we've to acknowledge that there's 2 different tracks. You can't expect your manager (not so technical, only know Windows) to use command lines stuff, and you can't ask a developer to use GUI/DragDrop to do his work while he can do it better with batch command lines.

regards,
choongseng

Quote:
Yes, we are from different era, you start off FTP using GUI, features rich FTP client. I start off (and now) still using FTP on Unix/Linux platform.

minus the drag and drop, you can specify various commands which not all GUI support, and furthermore it is easier for troubleshooting on FTP whether is it related to passive or active FTP or bandwidth issues.

choongseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 11:08   #7
redhippo
SGWHT Newbie

redhippo is on a distinguished road
a very helpful tutorial...i wish i had this guide when i first started! this would be mighty useful for newbies!!!!great job!
Old 06-08-2005, 22:46   #8
bala88
SGWHT Newbie

bala88 is on a distinguished road
thanks for the tutorial priyanka
bala88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 15:54   #9
ZKCreations
SGWHT Newbie

ZKCreations is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your tutorial. It's useful. Now I can explain to my customers on what is a FTP. Once again, thank you.
ZKCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:14   #10
ValueSERVER
SGWHT Newbie

ValueSERVER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKCreations
Now I can explain to my customers on what is a FTP.
lol.
ValueSERVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 22:15   #11
serverpoint
SGWHT Newbie

serverpoint is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyanka
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and is a standard application protocol that uses the Internet’s TCP/IP protocol to transfer files from one computer to another.

FTP is a very common process today. FTP is commonly used to transfer web pages from the creator’s computer to the server where the web site is situated. Also FTP is used to download programs and files to your computer from a server.

How do I use FTP?

To use FTP you will need to install FTP software on your computer. There are many freely available FTP programs on the Internet such as, FTP explorer (http://www.ftpx.com) and Smart FTP (http://www.smartftp.com).

How do I connect with FTP?

Follow the steps below to connect to a server, to upload files using FTP Explorer:

Open FTP Explorer.

Click on the connect button on the toolbar or select connect from the Tools menu.

In the Profile Name text, enter a name to give your FTP connection.

In the Host Address text box enter the address of the server you are connecting to (this can either be the DNS entry or the IP Address).

Enter the Port number that the server accepts FTP connections on (the default port for FTP is 21).

Tick the Use PASV option, if your computer is behind a firewall, which does not allow external FTP connections.

Tick the Use Firewall option if your computer is located behind a firewall.

Either enter a user name for the FTP login or tick the Anonymous option (the anonymous option will only work if the server is set up to allow anonymous FTP connections – if this is selected go to step 10).

Enter the user’s password in the Password text box.

In the Initial path text box, enter the path on the server, where you want your connection to start at – this is optional.

In the Attempts text box enter the number of times to try the FTP connection if fails, you will need to have at least 1 in this text box.

In the Download path you can specify the path on your computer where to save the files downloaded from the server – this is optional, you can specify this later if you like.

To establish the connection with the server click on the Connect button.

How do I upload files using FTP?

Once you have established your connection with the server the next step is to upload your files to the server. The following describes how to do this:

Go to the path on the server where you want to upload your files to.

In the Tools menu click on the Upload button.

Select the file or files that you want to upload (to select more than one file hold down the CTRL key).

NOTE: You can also upload files by dragging and dropping them to the directory/folder on the server.

Click on the Open button. Your file will now be uploaded to the server. (You will see this uploading process in the dialog box.)

How do I download files using FTP?

You can also use FTP to download files to your computer from a server. The following describes how to download a file.

Make sure you are connected to the server.

Go to the file that you want to download.

Right click on the file and select Download To..

Select the path on your computer where you want the file to be saved to.

The file will now be downloaded to your computer. (You will see this downloading process happening in the dialog box.)

How do I end my connection?

You can end the connection by simply clicking on the Disconnect button on the tool bar or by clicking on Disconnect from the Tools menu.
great job dude
serverpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 19:21   #12
aquazero
SGWHT Newbie

aquazero is on a distinguished road
I use Filezilla for my ftp needs...
Its open-source (free)
http://filezilla-project.org/
aquazero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 17:12   #13
dani88
SGWHT Newbie

dani88 is on a distinguished road
how would ftp rate to webservers where you too can download files but not upload.
dani88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 14:08   #14
alano
SGWHT Senior Member

alano is a jewel in the roughalano is a jewel in the roughalano is a jewel in the roughalano is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Hello,

So do I, but I won't go shooting down FTP programs and label them as fancy.

I think that FTP programs like FileZilla and the like are actually very useful for newbies and those who are not too familiar with command-line FTP
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 14:12   #15
alano
SGWHT Senior Member

alano is a jewel in the roughalano is a jewel in the roughalano is a jewel in the roughalano is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

there are always those from a different era. I was around when we were still using BBSes and connecting up with them with a Hayes 300baud modem. There was a time when I was even doing inputs on an old PDP-8!

I know the fundamentals, as do lots of others but showing that you do everything by command-line does little to impress newbies and the like. I learn new things everyday and so do newbies. help them, don't intimidate them
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 00:09   #16
limebox
SGWHT Senior Member

limebox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano
there are always those from a different era. I was around when we were still using BBSes and connecting up with them with a Hayes 300baud modem. There was a time when I was even doing inputs on an old PDP-8!

I know the fundamentals, as do lots of others but showing that you do everything by command-line does little to impress newbies and the like. I learn new things everyday and so do newbies. help them, don't intimidate them
BBS was super cool, I had one just so I could show off my ASCII skills!