Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > MAIN DISCUSSION > Internet Surveys

Internet Surveys 'Internet Surveys' as a web provider or as an end users' opinions on web related issues such as services, prices, products, management and others that the findings may provide valuable information for your company growth.

Old 06-06-2008, 00:22   #1
alanwoo
SGWHT Senior Member

alanwoo is on a distinguished road
singnet broadband could not find an atm circuit

my home singnet broadband, not sure is coincidence with my recent change to mio plan or not, it have been well for the pass 2 year, but these few day my singnet adsl have been keep dropping now and then, and today is a totally cut off.

The modem show: Could not find an ATM Circuit.

Called to the Tech support, they try to do a line reset but still down now.
I have 2 ADSL modem, and have swap around, but both shows the same error message.

Anyone have similar experience ?

Alan

NewMedia Express Pte Ltd (AS38001)
Web Hosting Singapore
http://www.speedtest.com.sg
Tel: +65 63967188
alanwoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 01:46   #2
pengfei
SGWHT Senior Member

pengfei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoo
my home singnet broadband, not sure is coincidence with my recent change to mio plan or not, it have been well for the pass 2 year, but these few day my singnet adsl have been keep dropping now and then, and today is a totally cut off.

The modem show: Could not find an ATM Circuit.

Called to the Tech support, they try to do a line reset but still down now.
I have 2 ADSL modem, and have swap around, but both shows the same error message.

Anyone have similar experience ?

Alan
Did SingTel send their techincial to your house with their own laptop and ADSL modem for testing?
MSN ID: glwmsn@hotmail.com
pengfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:56   #3
alanwoo
SGWHT Senior Member

last week I change to a MIO plan, there is a engineer come down to setup a new modem, and do the line test, since then, the line become unstable, they have try to reset the line, reset my profile, do all sort of things but no help.

just called them and now they ask me to reset my modem, still no help, it is clearly not the modem problem, as I have 2 modem that tested with the same error message.

Web Hosting Singapore
Old 06-06-2008, 19:32   #4
pengfei
SGWHT Senior Member

Quote:
last week I change to a MIO plan, there is a engineer come down to setup a new modem, and do the line test, since then, the line become unstable, they have try to reset the line, reset my profile, do all sort of things but no help.

just called them and now they ask me to reset my modem, still no help, it is clearly not the modem problem, as I have 2 modem that tested with the same error message.
I agree and it is interesting to more from yours actual experiences, can you post yours progress status here for us to learn from yours experiences?
Old 06-06-2008, 22:52   #5
alanwoo
SGWHT Senior Member

they have schedule to send their engineer to my house on 4pm SAT, so my home broadband have been down for 2 day till now. Hopefully they can resolve it tomorrow.

Web Hosting Singapore
Old 06-06-2008, 23:37   #6
tanfwc
SGWHT Premium Member

tanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
they have schedule to send their engineer to my house on 4pm SAT, so my home broadband have been down for 2 day till now. Hopefully they can resolve it tomorrow.
So I guess you using Mobile Broadband now?
Old 07-06-2008, 00:48   #7
alanwoo
SGWHT Senior Member

Nope, at office actually.

I do have a mobile broadband, but the quality is very bad, serious packet loss, only during 1am or 2am midnight can get good connection, the rest of the hour is terrible.

Web Hosting Singapore
Old 07-06-2008, 13:02   #8
LampPC
SGWHT Premium Member

LampPC has a spectacular aura aboutLampPC has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

The problem maybe due to the MIO modem and not the line. From what I remember, MIO is often having stability problem with their current modems used. If you change to a non-Mio modem, you should be able to use Internet access at least.
Address: One Raffles Quay Level 25 North Tower
Tel: +65.61000092
LampPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 14:52   #9
pengfei
SGWHT Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampPC
The problem maybe due to the MIO modem and not the line. From what I remember, MIO is often having stability problem with their current modems used. If you change to a non-Mio modem, you should be able to use Internet access at least.
Interesting, but alan had mention he had 2 modem and both also don't work for internet access.
Old 07-06-2008, 23:49   #10
alanwoo
SGWHT Senior Member

today, when the singtel/singnet technician come, he put in his own adsl modem and test, got DSL signal but cannot establish connection, so he went to the main switch at a building few house away from my house.

He plug his modem direct in the main switch room to test, still no luck, he then called to helpdesk to reset the setting, and finally he get it working.

As per my understanding from him, there is no problem on the physical line/circuit, it is only setting error on the server end. So he come back to my house and plug in his own adsl modem and test, and magically now it is working on his modem.

I then plug in my new Mio Box adsl box (2wire 2701HGV-E), and then it is still not working, strange, I then plug in to my old 2wire modem (1800HG), and also not working, but when i plug in the technician modem(2700HGV-2) and strange it is working.

The technician have no idea why it is so, the conclusion he get is my 2 modem is faulty. but I dont believe how can my 2 modem fail at the same time.

I call the helpdesk, the helpdesk also conclude that it is my modem faulty, so they will send someone to bring a new modem to replace in 3 working day, so I give up on this.

I go out for dinner, and come back home now, and I plug in my old modem(which is always working) and try my luck, maybe today is my lucky day that, magically, the broadband is working now, and I can reply this thread using the singnet broadband with my old 2wire modem.

Dont bother to try on the new modem yet. I really not sure how many other user out there suffer the similar situation, and the incapable singnet helpdesk do not provide any good help to resolved the issue and just pushing the blame to the telephone line or to the modem, and just keep dragging days after days. They clearly have no idea what they are working on and what ADSL is.

Alan

Web Hosting Singapore
Old 08-06-2008, 14:27   #11
limebox
SGWHT Senior Member

limebox is on a distinguished road
Hi Alan,

Do you have a cisco router? maybe you can run some line stat's check you line DB levels also check any error messages.

Did the tech try swapping the pairs? this sometimes can fix the problem.

Paste your stat's here so we can check..
Old 08-06-2008, 23:44   #12
alanwoo
SGWHT Senior Member

Fyi,

Below is the statistic, I not an expert in ADSL, seems their DSLAM have error in my profile or account or whatever reason, but this issue can be easily resolved if their helpdesk is more helpful and competent, as clearly the singtel line technician have verify the line have no issue, and both of my modem is still functioning now.

Their helpdesk just simply jump into conclusion that the line is faulty or my modem is faulty and delay in days to rectify the error that piss me off.

Alan

DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT
Downstream Rate: 3488 kbps
Upstream Rate: 704 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 22.0 dB (Downstream), 7.0 db (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 15.0 dB (Downstream), 26.0 db (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.9 dB (Downstream), 10.3 db (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {BDCM} Specific: {0x9162}
PVC Info: 0/100

Web Hosting Singapore
Old 09-06-2008, 00:27   #13
limebox
SGWHT Senior Member

limebox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Protocol: G.DMT
Downstream Rate: 3488 kbps
Upstream Rate: 704 kbps
Current Noise Margin: 22.0 dB (Downstream), 7.0 db (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 15.0 dB (Downstream), 26.0 db (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.9 dB (Downstream), 10.3 db (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {BDCM} Specific: {0x9162}
I did my time years ago working for Telstra in Australia as a DSL Tech, so I am fairly savvy with DSL technology.

Your Noise margin is super fine, anything above 14 DB is ok for downstream.

If you are getting dropout's best to request they check if your line has any open circuits (this could be caused by gel joints or purely bad cabling).

First thing a tech will do is change your pairs, usually you have 4 pairs to one copper line. If the second pair does not work they can change the DSLAM card at the exchange. DSLAM card replacement is only required when you have no sync no comms.

You have sync just drop comms, so personally I think its just bad pairs.

Last option is to try a different type of router for a few days, cisco routers and linksys (owned by cisco) usually can with stand a little less line quality than some of the other brands, also sh dsl stats are more detailed.

See how you go.

these are my stats on Singnet :
Quote:
Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Downstream Rate: 13998 kbps
Upstream Rate: 1064 kbps
Current Noise Margin: 21.0 dB (Downstream) 6.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 8.8 dB (Downstream) 0.7 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 12.8 dBm (Downstream) 11.4 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xFF} Vendor: {GSPN} Specific: {0x1000}
Wish you the best
Old 09-06-2008, 02:29   #14
alanwoo
SGWHT Senior Member

Thanks for your detail explanation.

Got to learn more on all this, but from a consumer stand point, this is way too complicated.

I have also subscribe to the MIO TV plan initially, but the onsite installation engineer told me to cancel it as my dsl line quality is no good to support MIO TV(a IPTV product from SingTel, which will be sharing my ADSL line).

I have subscribe another service MOBTV before which is fully ip based playback via Windows Media Player, while the MIO-TV is using a set-top-box, which I thought should be ip-based as well, but somehow it is not as simple than I thought.

Alan

Web Hosting Singapore
Old 09-06-2008, 11:08   #15
pengfei
SGWHT Senior Member

Quote:
but the onsite installation engineer told me to cancel it as my dsl line quality is no good to support MIO TV
I have been installing ADSL services using SingTel Approval Brand like Cisco, ProLink and SpeedTouch.

2Wire signal is very strong even from a distance as I had tested myself.

SingTel really do a lots of testing before they approved a brand and model for their services. And that inclusive of distance test.

From the SingTel Engineer advise, I believe the problem is at the exchange site and had nothing to do with yours end.

BTW, SingTel is in their process upgrading their line to optic cable around Singapore.

It just luck.