Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > LEARNING CENTER > Networking

Networking Networking-related subjects in managing dedicated servers.

Old 31-01-2008, 20:51   #1
LiberMan
SGWHT Newbie

LiberMan is on a distinguished road
Arrow Home Networking Problem

For about 2 weeks now, my home network (for lack of a better description) has been locking up on me. The network seems to just disappear as none of the computers can see each other or access the internet. Unplugging and resetting the switch gets it going again. I have a completely wired network, nothing wireless.

Iíve replaced the switch 3 times with different models, no improvement. I swapped the cable modem (Charter Cable) for a new one, no improvement. I tried 3 different 4-port routers, no improvement. Last night, I picked up a new 8 port router and eliminated going thru a switch, it still does the same ďlock up.Ē

I have 6 computers and laptops connected to the network. All are running Folding@Home 24/7.

Anyone have any idea how to trouble shoot this? In the back of my mind, Iím wondering if itís Charter Cable doing it because I have 6 machines attached? Better question, how would they know anyway since Iím behind a router?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Thanks.
LiberMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2008, 12:21   #2
waiyaki
SGWHT Newbie

waiyaki is on a distinguished road
switch? router?
You used the terms a few times and it seems almost like its refered to the same thing.

Firstly,
You need a router since you have a few computers.
A switch even if it can remember MAC addresses will not work as it does not know how to communicate with the modem.

Is your setup like this?
1) Cable Modem connected to the cable outlet and then a ethernet cable (crossed) to the router's WAN port. Please read the manual for your router as some can accept straight cables but some only accept cross types

2) the router is does not have it own inbulit siwtch, you have connected it to a switch. ( please take note of the cross and straight cable thing. )

3) lastly connected to your PCs.

Next stuff :
1) they will not know how many PCs you have.
2) You can attached a few hundred PCs to a router or switch so it should not be the number problem.

Somethings you need to check :

When the connection breaks, can you still communicate with the router or other PCs in the same local network. Try pinging them. You can see whats their IP at the connection settings and then open a command prompt and do a ping.

If the internal still works but you can't get the internet, log into your router and see if the connection with the modem is still active.

If it is.... call your provider and scream...
If its not, then could be the modem problem.
waiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 02:12   #3
alanwoo
SGWHT Senior Member

alanwoo is on a distinguished road
You change 3 switch, 3 router and 1 router(with 8 port switch), you have try 7 difference combination, but yet to sort it out, I think it is the time to engage a professional network engineer to help you to troubleshoot it if you really want to get this sorted.

It is like, if you are sick, you try 7 difference kind of medicine you buy from pharmacy, but cannot recover, it is the time to see a professional doctor.

Without going onsite to see how is your network is connected and what software is running on your system, it is hard to troubleshoot. The common issue maybe 1 of your PC is infected by virus and flooding the network until your switch when dead and require a hard reset.

NewMedia Express Pte Ltd (AS38001)
Web Hosting Singapore
http://www.speedtest.com.sg
Tel: +65 63967188
alanwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 08:22   #4
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

geekonetwothree has a spectacular aura aboutgeekonetwothree has a spectacular aura aboutgeekonetwothree has a spectacular aura about
Agree a tech guy coming over just cost $60 + the equipment cost much cheaper and save a lot of time.
geekonetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 21:34   #5
alex15
SGWHT Newbie

alex15 is on a distinguished road
Just replace your LAN cable plug. You will definitely get results.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:23   #6
congyuan
SGWHT Newbie

congyuan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberMan
For about 2 weeks now, my home network (for lack of a better description) has been locking up on me. The network seems to just disappear as none of the computers can see each other or access the internet. Unplugging and resetting the switch gets it going again. I have a completely wired network, nothing wireless.

I*ve replaced the switch 3 times with different models, no improvement. I swapped the cable modem (Charter Cable) for a new one, no improvement. I tried 3 different 4-port routers, no improvement. Last night, I picked up a new 8 port router and eliminated going thru a switch, it still does the same *lock up.*

I have 6 computers and laptops connected to the network. All are running Folding@Home 24/7.

Anyone have any idea how to trouble shoot this? In the back of my mind, I*m wondering if it*s Charter Cable doing it because I have 6 machines attached? Better question, how would they know anyway since I*m behind a router?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Thanks.
try disconnect all the computers except for one. troubleshoot one by one. it could be some of your pc affected by virus?
congyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:45   #7
pengfei
SGWHT Senior Member

pengfei is on a distinguished road
If you suspect is virus outbreak, then you might apply the below process to confirm the problem yourself.

Connect everything as per usual before you having any problem.

Click Start > Run and type "netstat 1" in all yours computer and laptop.

If there is a lots of respond with IP address or URL name scrolling in the command prompt in any computer or laptop, shutdown it down.

Now try to access internet, if you can access internet with those which are not shutdown, then get those shutdown computer and laptop for servicing.
MSN ID: glwmsn@hotmail.com
pengfei is offline   Reply With Quote