Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > COMMUNITY > Suggestions and Feedback

Suggestions and Feedback Comments, questions and suggestions on Singapore Web Hosting Talk.

Old 16-03-2008, 17:39   #1
Darylngch
SGWHT Senior Member

Darylngch is on a distinguished road
Add a section for Downtime/Notices

I hope that sgwht can add a section for Downtime/Notices. This is so as to enable hosters to place notices or downtime statements to their clients (In case that their clients do not often view the website, or the clients missed out on the emails)

Thanks.

Old 16-03-2008, 17:45   #2
CoolRock
SGWHT Veteran Member

CoolRock has a spectacular aura aboutCoolRock has a spectacular aura about
Agreed. It can serve as a medium to let new clients know about the uptime and status of that particular coy

IT Show 2010

Looking for Microsoft Exchange Account
CoolRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 19:13   #3
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

geekonetwothree has a spectacular aura aboutgeekonetwothree has a spectacular aura aboutgeekonetwothree has a spectacular aura about
I think additional section nt impt, more impt is can we have more mods patrol, so many spammers around.
geekonetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 19:06   #4
CoolRock
SGWHT Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekonetwothree
I think additional section nt impt, more impt is can we have more mods patrol, so many spammers around.
Well, you can ignore spams but you can't ignore downtimes

IT Show 2010

Old 21-03-2008, 20:48   #5
NexusWebLinks
SGWHT Newbie

NexusWebLinks is on a distinguished road
well this would be something new.
sgWHT would be doing some services to
host rather than its forums regulars.

to the hosts advantage it'll be.
good luck on the request.
NexusWebLinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 14:30   #6
limebox
SGWHT Senior Member

limebox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylngch
I hope that sgwht can add a section for Downtime/Notices. This is so as to enable hosters to place notices or downtime statements to their clients (In case that their clients do not often view the website, or the clients missed out on the emails)

Thanks.
I don't think this is such a good idea, firstly most providers do not host the main support website on any of the servers or links which customers use. (this helps if customer servers are down).

Notices (if hosting providers use cpanel) can be added in the customers admin cpanel area, also on your main website or email (if the customer does not even see any of those 3 then I am pretty sure they wont be looking at sgwht for notices).

Also letting external non-customers know about planned outages could be a security risk to the provider in question.
Old 31-03-2008, 01:52   #7
NexusWebLinks
SGWHT Newbie

NexusWebLinks is on a distinguished road
let those independent review forums handle those.
NexusWebLinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 08:24   #8
syed
SGWHT Veteran Member

syed is on a distinguished road
totally agree with this idea

I think right now we really should implement this new forum, for downtime notices or queries, seperate downtime announcements and queries with general talk and suggestions...

Take a look at these 2 heated threads:

http://www.sgwht.com/showthread.php?p=93718#post93718

and

http://www.sgwht.com/showthread.php?p=93709#post93709

... And the victim is Oryon,.. I really don't want this to happen to my company..

Users must also be responsible and do not ignite the flame, customers are already being angry for the services being down, don't need to add more fuel to it.. mods i hope you think bout it..
syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 13:12   #9
CoolRock
SGWHT Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limebox
I don't think this is such a good idea, firstly most providers do not host the main support website on any of the servers or links which customers use. (this helps if customer servers are down).

Notices (if hosting providers use cpanel) can be added in the customers admin cpanel area, also on your main website or email (if the customer does not even see any of those 3 then I am pretty sure they wont be looking at sgwht for notices).

Also letting external non-customers know about planned outages could be a security risk to the provider in question.
Well, I believe most smaller providers here do host everything on 1 server. For outages wise, what if it's not just a server outage? A rack trip? The DC outage? Well, you can't just look from a provider's POV.

I shall post this question back to you. If the server/s are down, do you think that notices are still be done, esp on cpanel when the user cannot even log in? Most provider would not use 1 entire server to host only their website.

I am curious, but how will letting know external non-customer know about planned outages/maintainence be a security risk?

Just my 2 cents

IT Show 2010

Old 22-05-2008, 18:03   #10
ConceptLane
SGWHT Newbie

ConceptLane has a spectacular aura aboutConceptLane has a spectacular aura about
This has just become a big irony hasn't it?
ConceptLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 21:44   #11
royong
SGWHT Administrators

royong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to behold
SGWHT isn't a support site and will not strive to be one. Hence there will not be a forum for downtime notices.

With regards to the threads about servers being down etc. etc. - if you are long enough in the business, you will realize that someday, sometime, your business will suffer an outage and you will hope that it does not affect "ALL" of your servers. Clients must understand that with what they are paying - they cannot expect 24/7 service uptime always. Its not possible with the amount of money that is in play.

In any case, all I can say is ... outages are part and parcel of the hosting business. You have to deal with it. How you deal with it, plan for it and react to it ... that's make the difference.
royong is offline   Reply With Quote