Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > LEARNING CENTER > Server Administration

Server Administration General dedicated servers administration topics.

Old 16-07-2007, 23:48   #1
mars2000
SGWHT Newbie

mars2000 is on a distinguished road
Active Directory

Hi

I would like to know if there is no domain in the company, meaning it is a small company and all workstations log on just using a user id and password, do i still need to load active directory. Active directory only needed if there is a domain. Is my understanding rite?

Also, cam anyone recommend a place where i can learn adminstering windows 2003 server hands on. I am not looking for any certification but just one to learn how to load it and how to configure, DNS,DHCP and so on.

Thanks
mars2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-07-2007, 09:41   #2
miltongoh
SGWHT Veteran Member

miltongoh has a spectacular aura aboutmiltongoh has a spectacular aura aboutmiltongoh has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars2000
Hi

I would like to know if there is no domain in the company, meaning it is a small company and all workstations log on just using a user id and password, do i still need to load active directory. Active directory only needed if there is a domain. Is my understanding rite?

Also, cam anyone recommend a place where i can learn adminstering windows 2003 server hands on. I am not looking for any certification but just one to learn how to load it and how to configure, DNS,DHCP and so on.

Thanks
Unless you are in a workgroup where you require workgroup and required special authentication, then you will need AD.

AD can be quite hard to maintain and setup based on my experience on loading so far on Window 2000 Server.

Try out New horizons?
Old 10-10-2007, 17:31   #3
pengfei
SGWHT Senior Member

pengfei is on a distinguished road
Active Directory is required if you need authentication services for your company stuff only.

For the domain name issue, you can create a nice name without a domain name extension and the Windows will create an Active Directory with your given nice name.local

e.g.
nice name like century
and the windows will create the domain name like century.local for you.
MSN ID: glwmsn@hotmail.com
pengfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 22:41   #4
serverpoint
SGWHT Newbie

serverpoint is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars2000
Hi

Thanks
active directory is need if you want to make athentication on your clients, want to handle them through your server..
no matter if you dont have any domain, you can make any name as the domain and can create a tree structure...
i find w-w-w.comptechdoc dot org one of the good site to learn active directory...
serverpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 22:42   #5
serverpoint
SGWHT Newbie

serverpoint is on a distinguished road
PM me if you need any help regarding any specific thing in active directory
serverpoint is offline   Reply With Quote