Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > LEARNING CENTER > Networking

Networking Networking-related subjects in managing dedicated servers.

Old 07-02-2008, 20:52   #1
Chaky
SGWHT Newbie

Chaky is on a distinguished road
Red face Wireless Networking Problems

Ok, I can't figure it out, please someone else help if you know what to do. I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and Wireless G USB network adapter. My host computer is using Windows XP and there is no problems. My downstairs computer, which I'm trying to connect to the internet, is running on Windows ME. My problem is, the client computer downstairs IS recieving a signal from the Router just fine, but I cannot get the internet! I've tryed setting it up in Internet Options under Tools, tried setting it up using XP's wireless networking program setup thingy for when your setting up a wireless network. Nothing works. And I'll state the problem again. Windows ME computer is recieving a signal from the Router, but I can't get the internet to work. Its not Windows XP firewall upstairs, because we've tried that. Also, a friend of mine brought his laptop over, and connected to my router in like 3 seconds, and was playing WoW and going on the internet. I've lost almost all for this computer. I believe the problem is dealing with my OS, so please someone help!
Chaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 21:31   #2
Darylngch
SGWHT Senior Member

Darylngch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaky
Ok, I can't figure it out, please someone else help if you know what to do. I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and Wireless G USB network adapter. My host computer is using Windows XP and there is no problems. My downstairs computer, which I'm trying to connect to the internet, is running on Windows ME. My problem is, the client computer downstairs IS recieving a signal from the Router just fine, but I cannot get the internet! I've tryed setting it up in Internet Options under Tools, tried setting it up using XP's wireless networking program setup thingy for when your setting up a wireless network. Nothing works. And I'll state the problem again. Windows ME computer is recieving a signal from the Router, but I can't get the internet to work. Its not Windows XP firewall upstairs, because we've tried that. Also, a friend of mine brought his laptop over, and connected to my router in like 3 seconds, and was playing WoW and going on the internet. I've lost almost all for this computer. I believe the problem is dealing with my OS, so please someone help!
Did you try to use firefox or something like that? It might be spyware that has infected your computer, thus disabling your access. Try firefox, and tell us the results.
Darylngch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 22:15   #3
alano
SGWHT Senior Member

alano is a jewel in the roughalano is a jewel in the roughalano is a jewel in the roughalano is a jewel in the rough
I do not know if Windows has stopped support for Windows ME or not. Maybe it is in the extended phase like Windows 2000. Like the suggestion in the thread above, try scanning with a anti-spyware program for starters. Or you could get the Portable Firefox app from PortableApps.com and run that from a thumbdrive to see if that isolated distribution works. Or you could re-load your TCPIP stack. There are lots of ways to troubleshoot but first you must erase all the variable before you get down to brass tacks. I take it that the computer that you have running on Windows ME is a pretty old one. If that is the case, why not change to Fedora or Ubuntu Linux? It should run on that desktop and it is more secure and stable.
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 22:54   #4
syed
SGWHT Veteran Member

syed is on a distinguished road
Hi ,..

Simple troubleshooting:

Try to ping

192.168.1.1 (your gateway) normally linksys gateway uses that ip, or you can go to the command prompt and try to do a ipconfig /all to see the default gateway.

For windows ME if i am not wrong, you must go to start -> all programs -> ms-dos prompt.

then you will be able to see the prompt.. in the prompt:

type: ipconfig /all
check for your default gateway,

type: ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your gateway is)
If able to ping, that means communication to your gateway is ok.

Now, try to do a further ping,

type: ping yahoo.com
If able to ping, that means your connection is 100% fine.

If able to ping, check your IE Settings, (proxy/dialup) you might also want to check your tcp/ip settings for your wireless adapter. (control panel, network connections).

If unable to ping to gateway: Your connection is not connected or probably there might be a firewall/spyware/virus blocking your internet connection.

If able to ping to gateway but unable to ping to yahoo.com: that means you are connected however there is some problems connecting to the www, try reconnecting if cannot, try check some settings in the router. (mac filtering) and you mention that the router and pc is not on the same level of the house? change the wireless channel to 11 to make it better.

Most importantly , check your router settings as well, see if there is any mac filtering on and all that..

WIN ME is so legend to me , i hope this information might be able to help..
syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 23:10   #5
Oops!
SGWHT Veteran Member

Oops! will become famous soon enough
That was actually a spam.

The same question mentality was posted here a couple of times.
Oops! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 23:21   #6
NexusWebLinks
SGWHT Newbie

NexusWebLinks is on a distinguished road
well a link is something. a helping hand is another.
NexusWebLinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:34   #7
syed
SGWHT Veteran Member

syed is on a distinguished road
spam??
hmmm!!!!!
syed is offline   Reply With Quote