Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > MAIN DISCUSSION > Hosting Control Panels and Applications

Hosting Control Panels and Applications Control panels and hosting software for web hosting industry such as shopping carts, security certificate, ssl and billing or merchant program.

Old 13-02-2008, 08:22   #1
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

geekonetwothree has a spectacular aura aboutgeekonetwothree has a spectacular aura aboutgeekonetwothree has a spectacular aura about
A control panel from Singapore!

Any one tried DTC controlpanel which is from Singapore?
geekonetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-02-2008, 08:48   #2
miltongoh
SGWHT Veteran Member

miltongoh has a spectacular aura aboutmiltongoh has a spectacular aura aboutmiltongoh has a spectacular aura about
provide us with the url?
Old 13-02-2008, 10:26   #3
yonghan
SGWHT Senior Member

yonghan is on a distinguished road
DTC from singapore?
yonghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 17:01   #4
hydroburn
SGWHT Newbie

hydroburn is on a distinguished road
Not sure. But i think this is the link?

http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc.html
hydroburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 19:09   #5
Pacific Asia
SGWHT Newbie

Pacific Asia is on a distinguished road
maybe someone can try it out and give some feedback on it..

Webhosting :: Domain Registration :: Web Design :: Co-Location :: Dedicated Server
CCTV System :: Home & Office Security System (Door Access) :: PBX/KTS Phone System
Computer Network / Structure Cabling :: PC Repair
Pacific Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 20:16   #6
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

geekonetwothree has a spectacular aura aboutgeekonetwothree has a spectacular aura aboutgeekonetwothree has a spectacular aura about
I am going to try on my desktop machine, hopefully can get it running
Old 13-02-2008, 23:53   #7
udnsus
SGWHT Newbie

udnsus is on a distinguished road
DTC is an open source control panel written by Thomas GOIRAND and others. GPLHost offers VPS's based on XEN and located in many countries including SG. I'm not sure where the author lives, so it maybe SG. The company is registered in SG as well as the US.

The control panel works best with the Debian OS, though it will work with other OS's.

It's being developed continuously with security patches and added functionality.

As a hosting panel it works very well, however, it's capabilities as a reseller panel are non-existent, but are under development.

I've used it for some time and found it easy to work with after familiarization. It lacks many of the features that cPanel has, however, has many of the features that DirectAdmin with the exception of the reseller capability.

If you'd like a test account to see it in action, please PM me and we'll work something out.
Old 14-02-2008, 00:26   #8
NexusWebLinks
SGWHT Newbie

NexusWebLinks is on a distinguished road
yea. hope this clicks.
i wouls love to use own of our own.
NexusWebLinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 22:34   #9
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

Hard to configure ah, much harder than directadmin
Old 14-02-2008, 22:44   #10
Darylngch
SGWHT Senior Member

Darylngch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekonetwothree
Hard to configure ah, much harder than directadmin
Agreed. I have problems configuring it currently. And furthermore, the script is not as idiot proof nor are the instructions idiot-proof too. It requires somewhat more than what is normally required. I suspect that is because it runs on php and sql queries. If it does, then it might be a tad too risky to use it as a main server control panel.
Old 14-02-2008, 22:55   #11
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

That is problem I am idiot, the controlpanel not idiot proof but this looks interesting die die get it up
Old 15-02-2008, 00:16   #12
Darylngch
SGWHT Senior Member

Darylngch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekonetwothree
That is problem I am idiot, the controlpanel not idiot proof but this looks interesting die die get it up
When get it up liao, let us play play okay? Tell us if it is running on php and sql.
Old 15-02-2008, 07:31   #13
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

Sure I will offer a few accounts free. But I am on ADSL lines so may be slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylngch
When get it up liao, let us play play okay? Tell us if it is running on php and sql.
Old 15-02-2008, 22:24   #14
udnsus
SGWHT Newbie

udnsus is on a distinguished road
It does use PHP/MySQL, however, it is a relatively secure panel.

It doesn't install as easy as others, but remember it's a free GPL script. It will take some getting used to for clients who haven't used it before, but don't they all.
Old 17-02-2008, 21:08   #15
NexusWebLinks
SGWHT Newbie

NexusWebLinks is on a distinguished road
has anyone actually use it and have it used by sub-sellers?
it may come out smooth & easy
NexusWebLinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 08:10   #16
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

udnsus has it, you may want to check with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusWebLinks
has anyone actually use it and have it used by sub-sellers?
it may come out smooth & easy
Old 29-02-2008, 12:47   #17
j_lynx
SGWHT Newbie

j_lynx is on a distinguished road
The last time I used DTC was ages ago with my web hosting services. Thomas and my friend are developing it.

Since a year ago, I've switched to DirectAdmin by customers' request.
j_lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:19   #18
JFOCNETWORK
SGWHT Newbie

JFOCNETWORK is on a distinguished road
DTC is great panel
||| Web Site: http://www.serverhostingsupport.com
JFOCNETWORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:46   #19
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

I think just a few more tweaking of the front end design, it can be a very popular panel. Just make it neat and tidy.
Old 09-03-2008, 13:00   #20
tanfwc
SGWHT Premium Member

tanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura abouttanfwc has a spectacular aura about
geekonetwothree,

Have you installed DTC successfully?
Old 15-04-2008, 23:30   #21
thomasgplhost
SGWHT Newbie

thomasgplhost is on a distinguished road
Hi,

You cannot say that DTC is from Singapore, as you can't say that Linux if from Finland. It's made with many contributors, and I'm not the only one anymore to work on it.

As for GPLHost, we have a company in UK for all of our European operations, a company registered in Delaware (off-shore) for obvious taxes optimizations, and 2 companies in Singapore, as we host from there: we have now 12 servers in there, and another one is coming soon, 6 of them being Xen servers (on which we resell VPSes).

My colleague and friend Damien is Australian, and he has been living in Singapore during many years already. His wife is a real Singaporean (her parents talk in Mandarin). Myself, I'm French, and I live in Shanghai, with a Chinese wife. Now we also got an employee in Ecuador (he can speak English, German, and of course Spanish).

Also, there is one thing you should consider: DTC is the only control panel that is included in major distributions like FreeBSD, but especially in Debian where it almost follow our repository evolution since I have found a very good sponsor for our uploads in Debian.

That makes it a unique package, very different from any others. Where some panel can suffer some security problems when one of the component have a hole (proftpd, courier, apache, etc.), DTC doesn't have this problem: all is covered by the security team of Debian. Also, we have tried to follow the Debian policy up to the letter, and correct any bug sent by Debian users when we didn't respect it. But the other side is that there are things we can't do, like embedding libraries, changing other package's configuration files at postinst time, or others. Time after time, I hope we have been able to address most of the problem, but some still remains.

geekonetwothree wrote: "I think just a few more tweaking of the front end design, it can be a very popular panel. Just make it neat and tidy."

What suggestion do you have? Can you explain more in details?

For the reseller thing, I had the intention to work on it more, but I have found that "reseller accounts" on a shared hosting is quite something of the past. Everybody is moving to VPS (and it's already were we make the most of our money). But we are working currently on an affiliation feature, which I think is quite a good thing to. Any opinion on this would be appreciated too.

More generally, I'd be really happy to have all your comments, so we can try to improve things that you don't like or find hard to use. I'm quite sorry if some of you had some troubles to do the setup, I'd like to hear more about it. What problem did you encounter? Also, I have found the fact that we are in open source quite frustrating sometimes. Many said they would help with some contributions, but very few did. I'd like to have some help for translations for example. If any of you can help for the Mandarin one, that would be really appreciated (out of about 1000 strings, 642 are currently translated to Mandarin). Think of this panel as a 2 way, talk with us (maybe in our forum, don't annoy people here), and help us improve it.

Last thing: if you like our work, best way to support it is to host with us. This way, we will be able to add more task force to it (in other words: get more employee to the job).

Thomas Goirand
thomasgplhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 07:57   #22
geekonetwothree
SGWHT Senior Member

Glad to see one of the inventors here, I am only comment on a layman perspective, maybe I will consolidate for eg how I hope to see in the look and view. Chinese wise I am not sure I am up to task to help out. But do let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasgplhost
Hi,

You cannot say that DTC is from Singapore, as you can't say that Linux if from Finland. It's made with many contributors, and I'm not the only one anymore to work on it.

As for GPLHost, we have a company in UK for all of our European operations, a company registered in Delaware (off-shore) for obvious taxes optimizations, and 2 companies in Singapore, as we host from there: we have now 12 servers in there, and another one is coming soon, 6 of them being Xen servers (on which we resell VPSes).

My colleague and friend Damien is Australian, and he has been living in Singapore during many years already. His wife is a real Singaporean (her parents talk in Mandarin). Myself, I'm French, and I live in Shanghai, with a Chinese wife. Now we also got an employee in Ecuador (he can speak English, German, and of course Spanish).

Also, there is one thing you should consider: DTC is the only control panel that is included in major distributions like FreeBSD, but especially in Debian where it almost follow our repository evolution since I have found a very good sponsor for our uploads in Debian.

That makes it a unique package, very different from any others. Where some panel can suffer some security problems when one of the component have a hole (proftpd, courier, apache, etc.), DTC doesn't have this problem: all is covered by the security team of Debian. Also, we have tried to follow the Debian policy up to the letter, and correct any bug sent by Debian users when we didn't respect it. But the other side is that there are things we can't do, like embedding libraries, changing other package's configuration files at postinst time, or others. Time after time, I hope we have been able to address most of the problem, but some still remains.

geekonetwothree wrote: "I think just a few more tweaking of the front end design, it can be a very popular panel. Just make it neat and tidy."

What suggestion do you have? Can you explain more in details?

For the reseller thing, I had the intention to work on it more, but I have found that "reseller accounts" on a shared hosting is quite something of the past. Everybody is moving to VPS (and it's already were we make the most of our money). But we are working currently on an affiliation feature, which I think is quite a good thing to. Any opinion on this would be appreciated too.

More generally, I'd be really happy to have all your comments, so we can try to improve things that you don't like or find hard to use. I'm quite sorry if some of you had some troubles to do the setup, I'd like to hear more about it. What problem did you encounter? Also, I have found the fact that we are in open source quite frustrating sometimes. Many said they would help with some contributions, but very few did. I'd like to have some help for translations for example. If any of you can help for the Mandarin one, that would be really appreciated (out of about 1000 strings, 642 are currently translated to Mandarin). Think of this panel as a 2 way, talk with us (maybe in our forum, don't annoy people here), and help us improve it.

Last thing: if you like our work, best way to support it is to host with us. This way, we will be able to add more task force to it (in other words: get more employee to the job).

Thomas Goirand
Old 14-05-2010, 19:23   #23
webhosting.sg
SGWHT Newbie

webhosting.sg is on a distinguished road
Really good to see someone here developing their own CP. We developed our own CP some years back and quite a number of our shared hosting customers are still using it. While it does not have most of the bells and whistles that commercial CP has, our users loved it because of its simplicity.

Sadly, due to resource contraints we decided to use a commercial CP and it probably was a wrong move.

If you are developing your own CP, I just would like to add - Keep it Simple. We may be excited about all the new and complex features in ever newer versions of CP, but many users are put off by the complexities. They just want a CP that is stable, easy to use and fast. Most SME customers wont even bother if we are using PLesk or CPanel or DirectAdmin ...they just want an interface to work with their server. And it has to work, all the time. Period.

We really hope to see a home grown control panel taking on the big guys and giving them a run for their money!

Cheers!
Email: sales@webhosting.com.sg
webhosting.sg is offline   Reply With Quote