Others Other guides/howtos.

Old 03-08-2008, 14:31   #1
pessimizt
SGWHT Newbie

pessimizt is on a distinguished road
Using a different NS for reseller

Hi guys,

Dont know how to put it correctly.

May i know why do all reseller or hosting company uses another domain for their NS ?

Eg.
Company: ABC.com
Name Servers: ns1.abcserver.com, ns2.abcserver.com

What is the purpose of it ? To divert traffic ?

Thank you.
pessimizt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-08-2008, 20:25   #2
Trend
Banned

Trend will become famous soon enough
They custom ones. I think that you can have that with any mrden reseller account
Trend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 20:48   #3
dennis
SGWHT Premium Member

dennis has a spectacular aura aboutdennis has a spectacular aura aboutdennis has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trend
They custom ones. I think that you can have that with any mrden reseller account

wat u talking? the TS is asking WHY? not where?

anyway to TS, i guess its a form of customisation... so if u are a reseller, surely u dun want to give your webhost NS to your clients (thats indirectly telling them you are reselling their service), of cos users can check themselves but most dun bother since they are end users themselves.

the purpose is definitely not diverting traffic since the NS is still pointing to the same ip address (in some cases, your webhost might allocate you a dedicated ip as well, so you can point your NS to this ip)
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 18:13   #4
yonghan
SGWHT Senior Member

yonghan is on a distinguished road
this would look like its their server. no reseller would like to let their client know that he is actually a reseller.
yonghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 22:33   #5
zenny.cole
SGWHT Newbie

zenny.cole is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonghan
this would look like its their server. no reseller would like to let their client know that he is actually a reseller.

I agree with you...
thanks a lot...
Old 13-10-2009, 00:00   #6
icnbox
SGWHT Newbie

icnbox is on a distinguished road
that is what most reseller do.

but sometimes they might just want to have an easy to remember ns
icnbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 14:14   #7
codeboyx
SGWHT Newbie

codeboyx is on a distinguished road
ns server is always based on personal preference hmm? well at least for me
codeboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 15:49   #8
posh81
SGWHT Newbie

posh81 is on a distinguished road
If you are a reseller it is important that you use a private nameserver to protect your client you are actually taken this hosting with another hosting proivder.

If you trying to search who actually host this person site, it is kind of hard to tell about whether you account is under a reseller or a main hosting provider unless the reseller did not protect it well.

For example: The reseller is abc.com and abc.com give the client using his nameserver as ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com. however, if the reseller itself does not use ns1.abc.com as the his nameserver for abc.com, instead he use his hosting provider nameserver, then you can easily detect it whether he is a reseller or the main hosting provider.

If you are a reseller, it is important to first check your own domain nameserver to make sure it is protected. Try use http://intodns.com to check on your nameserver first.
posh81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 10:29   #9
rhchia
SGWHT Newbie

rhchia is on a distinguished road
since we are in the topic, can anyone solve my long term query? What's the purpose of the name server? From wiki, it quote "The most important function of these DNS servers is the translation (resolution) of humanly memorable domain names and hostnames into the corresponding numeric Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, the second principal Internet name space, used to identify and locate computer systems and resources on the Internet.". So am i right to say let's say somebody type "www.apple.com", the name server tell the system it is actually going to that special ip address?

Question 1
I register my domain name with ipmirror.com and got a hosting service with hostingrails.com, i was asked to change the name server to the one provided by hostingrails.com. Now i was exploring cloudflare.com (they claim that ), again i was asked to use the name server they provided. What's the purpose of changing name server?

Question 2
What's different between DNS Record and Name Server? I was exploring ipmirror's dashboard. I'm able to change the name server but not the DNS record.
rhchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 12:38   #10
elohkcalb
SGWHT Newbie

elohkcalb has a spectacular aura aboutelohkcalb has a spectacular aura about
You're right to say when someone types in a domain name, the name server will return an IP address.

A1 to Q1:
Fundamentally, name server provides a directory based service for your domain name. Look at it as a phone book - locate a contact name, and you'll get a phone number. Now, changing name server is like changing phone (e.g. N97 to iPhone4), different phone but end result is the same, you will still get a phone number from a contact name.

In general you may use the name server provided by the domain name registrar as long as you wish, and you are not required to change name server if you are simply changing hosting provider. Using the same analogy, phone change is not required if you're changing telco from M1 to Starhub.

However, some name servers do provide more features than the standard ones. In your example of Cloudflare, it's actually any-casted and protects you from certain attacks. For that you will have to change the name server so that they can extend the value-added features to you.

A2 to Q2:
Name server stores DNS records. DNS records are the dictionary entries (i.e. Name A goes to IP 123, Name B goes to IP 456, etc).

If your domain name is registered with IPMirror, it will always allow you to change the name server, just like telco doesn't prohibit you from changing phone.

Having said that, if you are also using the name server IPMirror provides you, you should also be able to modify the DNS records at wish. However, if you did change the name server, you will have to modify all DNS records at the name server that you changed to.
Old 26-05-2011, 14:45   #11
rhchia
SGWHT Newbie

rhchia is on a distinguished road
wow! that's some good explaination. I've definitely learned something today. thanks!!
rhchia is offline   Reply With Quote