Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > LEARNING CENTER > Networking

Networking Networking-related subjects in managing dedicated servers.

Old 28-08-2008, 21:41   #1
wheehost
SGWHT Newbie

wheehost is on a distinguished road
Network and switch options for co-lo small server setup

Hey all, currently I have a friend of mine I am helping looking to house 2x1U units in a rack space they got direct from the datacenter, they leased 4IPs through 2xRJ45 (with each line for each U having 2 IPs).

They do not have a switch, so it's quite abit in a fix, especially for them looking to house another additonal U through these lines. Will it be better for him to tell the datacenter to merge the 2 ethernet lines to one and split them out using a small 8 port managed switch? Space is limited, so there will be quite a restriction in term of housing it, or allocating a space 1U just for the switch space. Each server must be able to do DNS propagation on them, so 2 IPs through each of the the server's NIC are still required per U.

What will you recommend for this setup and what are the options?

Last edited by wheehost; 28-08-2008 at 21:48.
wheehost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2008, 17:00   #2
Trend
Banned

Trend will become famous soon enough
Hey, to help you I think that we'd better to know how space is limited and your opportunites as well?
Trend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 23:06   #3
bioanarchism
SGWHT Newbie

bioanarchism is on a distinguished road
I would like to find out if the IP addresses are "prefixed" to the individual lines.

In any case, assuming that the IP addresses are "prefixed" to the individual lines - you would need to request from your service provider for 2 additional lines. It will only work if you have dual NICs installed on your systems.

Otherwise, the next easiest step would be to hook up an unmanaged switch and get your service provider to provide you with a single RJ45 line. Of course, if you have a managed switch on hand, you can work wonders with it on your own.
bioanarchism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 09:58   #4
alanwoo
SGWHT Senior Member

alanwoo is on a distinguished road
Any idea why you need a switch in the first place, as you have only 2 server and you got 2 link connect into each server. ?

Each server have its own connection into the provider switch and it will be able to communicate to each other.

If you need a private connection, you can cross-connect the 2 server using a seperate network port.

If you do not have a extra network port, you may try to use a USB-to-FastEthernet to have an extra network port. I guess most server nowadays will come with some USB port.

NewMedia Express Pte Ltd (AS38001)
Web Hosting Singapore
http://www.speedtest.com.sg
Tel: +65 63967188
alanwoo is offline   Reply With Quote