Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > TECHNICAL > Technical Forum

Technical Forum Technical issues like configuring, optimizing and building dedicated web hosting servers and more.

Old 14-08-2010, 14:12   #1
aodat2
SGWHT Newbie

aodat2 is on a distinguished road
Strange Windows Firewall Behaviour

I totally am baffled over this problem. Nothing like this has ever happened to me and I doubt that I would like to see something like that happening again.

My problem is that every time I turn ON Windows Firewall, my server will after about 1 or 2 minute shut all ports out except RDP. You could try the IIS and it would timeout, ping will not give you a reply, ftp would not connect and everything else will fail. Then when you turn off the Firewall, it will be back to normal again.

I know some of you guys would most probably tell me that I would need to Add Exceptions but I have already done that. I have these ports open : 80, 21, 110, 587, 25, 53.

The strangest thing is that if you turn on Windows Firewall, it does not stop traffic immediately but rather wait for a minute or 2 before it will stop the traffic. Why is this happening? Does anyone know what's going on? Any suggestions on what to check on?
aodat2 is offline   Reply With Quote