Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > LEARNING CENTER > Networking

Networking Networking-related subjects in managing dedicated servers.

Old 29-10-2010, 10:10   #1
syed
SGWHT Veteran Member

syed is on a distinguished road
CNAME OR A RECORD?? HELP NEEDED HERE!! :dunno:

1st issue: i have a domain... whereby the DNS is using webhost X. the MX is pointing to webhost X while the WWW A is pointing to webhost Y. but i want the WWW A to point to webhost Z without affecting the MX. so do i need to change the WWW A record or WWW CNAME record? from what i understand, it shld be WWW A record, right? and i should request webhost X to do the change since the DNS is using webhost X.

2nd issue: i have some subdomains (p1.domainP.com, p2.domainP.com, p3.domainP.com) created for Domain P (domainP.com). however, i have Domains Q, R and S registered under webhost X but they're using webhost Y DNS. all these 3 domains do not have any WWW A or WWW CNAME records. So if i want to point Domain Q to p1.domainP.com, Domain R to p2.domainP.com and Domain S to p3.domainP.com, should i request webhost X to change the WWW A or WWW CNAME in the DNS? from what i understand, i shld change the WWW CNAME cos i will need to put the subdomains instead of the IP.
syed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-10-2010, 18:48   #2
elohkcalb
SGWHT Newbie

elohkcalb has a spectacular aura aboutelohkcalb has a spectacular aura about
1st issue:
Generally that is correct. If the "www" entry was created as A record, then yes you should request webhost X to point it to the IP address given by webhost Z.

If "www" was created as CNAME, you'd need to locate the A record that it links to, and point that A record instead; or, delete the CNAME and re-create as A.

2nd issue:
Correct - it'd be creation of 3 CNAME records over at webhost Y.

However, do note that you would need to add 3 names (Q, R, S) as aliases if those are meant to be websites. In fact you could also create them as A records and point them to the IP address - just make sure the correct aliases are added at the web server.

Ultimately all names will need to be converted into IP addresses before they can be transmitted over the Internet.
elohkcalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 09:08   #3
joelckw
SGWHT Newbie

joelckw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by syed
1st issue: i have a domain... whereby the DNS is using webhost X. the MX is pointing to webhost X while the WWW A is pointing to webhost Y. but i want the WWW A to point to webhost Z without affecting the MX. so do i need to change the WWW A record or WWW CNAME record? from what i understand, it shld be WWW A record, right? and i should request webhost X to do the change since the DNS is using webhost X.
Correct. You just need to change the A Records for WWW on the server/hosting provider where the nameservers (or DNS) are pointed to. In this case, it would be X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syed
2nd issue: i have some subdomains (p1.domainP.com, p2.domainP.com, p3.domainP.com) created for Domain P (domainP.com). however, i have Domains Q, R and S registered under webhost X but they're using webhost Y DNS. all these 3 domains do not have any WWW A or WWW CNAME records. So if i want to point Domain Q to p1.domainP.com, Domain R to p2.domainP.com and Domain S to p3.domainP.com, should i request webhost X to change the WWW A or WWW CNAME in the DNS? from what i understand, i shld change the WWW CNAME cos i will need to put the subdomains instead of the IP.
Domain names and web hosting are two different services. Nameserver settings are changed with the provider that sold you the domain name. Detailed DNS Settings such as A or CNAME are changed at where(or the provider) you have pointed the nameservers to.
http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Simpler & Better!
joelckw is offline   Reply With Quote