Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > MAIN DISCUSSION > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Web hosting topics such as considerations when choosing a web host, past experiences, seeking advice for web hosting providers and etc.

Old 03-12-2006, 17:39   #31
Y2Jacky
SGWHT Newbie

Y2Jacky is on a distinguished road
"It's a synonym of Unlimited bandwidth. That's basically a marketing gimmick used by certain hosts to dupe customers. If you want to go for reliability,quality,avoid any host with unmetered data transfer plan."

WA... Thank god I read this thread. Hey "priyana", are you trying to tell me poznet.com's special promo plans - "http://www.poznet.com/special.html" are trying to fake people?

But... how ARE THEY actually going to dupe people? It's clearly written on the list, they can't possible limit the bandwidth cause it's stated as unmetered?

Thanks for making this thread and I really enjoy reading.

Please help me to clear my doubt too. Thanks!
Y2Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2006, 02:35   #32
tonksy
SGWHT Newbie

tonksy is on a distinguished road
hmm... I also asked this to my host coz they said "unmetered" but then again... it really is metered. They allow like a certain amount, say 20G for a month (increases on increments based on the plan you are getting) - it's like they have this pre-calculated amount of bandwidth that a site will eat up based on the plan that it will be signed in.
tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 00:15   #33
onegun
SGWHT Senior Member

onegun is on a distinguished road
it just markting strategy, i think if you are heavy bandwidth sucker, host will advise you to take dedicated bandwidth, now the bandwidth in singapore has rose price, i dont think any host will try to keep you when you suck more than 1mbps in shared hosting environment
onegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 16:37   #34
ajahajah
SGWHT Newbie

ajahajah is on a distinguished road
hi, thanks for the nice definition. But what does colocation and reseller means? Does all servers have limited bandwidth?
ajahajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 17:19   #35
Oops!
SGWHT Veteran Member

Oops! will become famous soon enough
1. Co-location means, placing your server (you must have owned the hardware) in a datacenter environment, and paying a monthly fee to maintain the service.

In a datacenter environment, there will be proper facilities to provide your server with cooling, electrical power, internet connectivity, and sometimes other value-added services like backup and firewall services.

You can read this for more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colocation

2. Reseller means, you're leasing certain amount of capacity in bulk from another provider. It'll give you greater economy of scale and technical support services. With that, you can re-sell the capacity to another group of customers and make a marginal profit from there.

3. Yes, they do. All networks do not have infinite bandwidth.
Oops! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 18:11   #36
pengfei
SGWHT Senior Member

pengfei is on a distinguished road
It is very simple to know the true, just request quotation from some data center and you will see the optional and boundle bandwidth information.

If anyone quote you with unmeter, find out which data center it co-located and request a quotation from the data center and you will know the true.
MSN ID: glwmsn@hotmail.com
pengfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 23:07   #37
jeff-ay
SGWHT Newbie

jeff-ay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyanka
Hi guys,
The following information is for all of the novice in web hosting world. It's adapted from some website which i don't remember.

1.Difference between shared hosting and dedicated hosting-
The primary difference between dedicated and shared hosting is how the web server is used. With Shared web hosting, the web server is shared between many different websites. With dedicated web hosting, the web server is dedicated to your web site. Both services have their advantages and disadvantages.
Dedicated hosting is any day expensive than shared hosting.

2.What is disk space and bandwidth transfer?
The disk space that you contract for from your web hosting company is the disk space that you will use for your web site (and website logs if you have logging enabled). You can determine how much disk space you will need by looking at the amount of space that your website is using on your own machine.

If you got lots of pictures or other image files there will be a need of more disk space.

Bandwidth or data transfer, refers to the amount of data that has been transmitted by your web server to visitors of your website. For example, if you have one page on your web site that is 10kb large, and that page has one image on it that is 90kb large you will transfer 100kb of data for every user that views that website. So, 10 users would mean that you used 1,000KB of bandwidth.

Disk space is measured in Megabytes (MB) or Gigabytes (GB). Megabyte roughly means 1,024,000 characters and Gigabyte roughly means 1,024 Million characters. Imagine a character as one key on your key board. These amounts determine how many files, documents, or data you can have on your web site.

Data transfer is also measured in Megabytes or gigabytes which determines how much data (how many of your files, documents or data) can be downloaded (transferred to) people accessing your web site. The more people, or the more data each person accesses on your web site the more data is transferred on the network.

Woow...it should put in wiki! good reference for newbie!
jeff-ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 16:14   #38
juanaballerina
SGWHT Newbie

juanaballerina is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE]Hi guys,
The following information is for all of the novice in web hosting world. It's adapted from some website which i don't remember.

1.Difference between shared hosting and dedicated hosting-
The primary difference between dedicated and shared hosting is how the web server is used. With Shared web hosting, the web server is shared between many different websites. With dedicated web hosting, the web server is dedicated to your web site. Both services have their advantages and disadvantages.
Dedicated hosting is any day expensive than shared hosting.

2.What is disk space and bandwidth transfer?
The disk space that you contract for from your web hosting company is the disk space that you will use for your web site (and website logs if you have logging enabled). You can determine how much disk space you will need by looking at the amount of space that your website is using on your own machine.

If you got lots of pictures or other image files there will be a need of more disk space.

Bandwidth or data transfer, refers to the amount of data that has been transmitted by your web server to visitors of your website. For example, if you have one page on your web site that is 10kb large, and that page has one image on it that is 90kb large you will transfer 100kb of data for every user that views that website. So, 10 users would mean that you used 1,000KB of bandwidth.

Disk space is measured in Megabytes (MB) or Gigabytes (GB). Megabyte roughly means 1,024,000 characters and Gigabyte roughly means 1,024 Million characters. Imagine a character as one key on your key board. These amounts determine how many files, documents, or data you can have on your web site.

Data transfer is also measured in Megabytes or gigabytes which determines how much data (how many of your files, documents or data) can be downloaded (transferred to) people accessing your web site. The more people, or the more data each person accesses on your web site the more data is transferred on the network./QUOTE]

thanks for the article.
juanaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote