Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > TECHNICAL > Programming Forum

Programming Forum Web applications, languages and other related issues in configuration, optimization, practical usage and database connectivity.

Old 09-07-2002, 01:02   #1
DoorKeeper
SGWHT Veteran Member

DoorKeeper has a spectacular aura aboutDoorKeeper has a spectacular aura about
Payment Gateways

What options do Singapore websites have when it comes to collecting money ? Paypal, Worldpay, what else ?

Singapore Job Sites
DoorKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2002, 01:17   #2
royong
SGWHT Administrators

royong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to behold
There is new one...

Called Wallet21.Com

Check it out at : http://www.wallet21.com

Quite cool ... allows for DBS / POSB bank transfer etc...
royong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 01:42   #3
DoorKeeper
SGWHT Veteran Member

Checked out their website. Are you sure they are in business already ? Because almost all the links in on the top navigation bar leads to nowhere. Even the link to the parent company does not work.

Quote:
The Tokio Marine and fire Insurance Company (Singapore) Pte Ltd has agreed to insure against non-delivery of up to
SGD$100,000,00 per order for all purchases made online by Wallet21 users.
And how much are they insuring, anyway. $10 Million per order ?

Singapore Job Sites
Old 09-07-2002, 05:07   #4
xharine
SGWHT Newbie

xharine is on a distinguished road
There's this one by DBS, a merchant account called C2pay. Can find info on their website. However it's not really that clear, I would be interested in a merchant account that accepts credit cards as not many people like paying by paypal.

Maybe someone can call for me? =P
Old 09-07-2002, 05:09   #5
kraystone
SGWHT Newbie

kraystone is on a distinguished road
DBS got? how much leh?
kraystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 05:18   #6
royong
SGWHT Administrators

royong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to behold
in reply to Wallet 21 ...

yes they are in business already...

my wife has completed about 5 transactions with them...

all for her new handphone ! Bought credits for Igauna Mobile - the one that allows you to download ringtone, operator logo, SMS pictures etc...

She did not tell me until recently and when I checked out their site ... Shock of my life - the links don't work and worse ... I sent them 2 emails ... you know what I got ... both could be be delivered ... according to the error ... NO ROUTE FOUND TO XXX SERVER.

Scary to know what my wife actually used them ! But she got her credits and now she phone rings with XiaoDingDang and has a Mushimaro logo on it....
Women.... !!!
Old 09-07-2002, 21:12   #7
xharine
SGWHT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraystone
DBS got? how much leh?
I also don't know. I really want to find out, because Worldpay is too expensive, and Paypal has too many trust issues, and well if it's DBS, can you imagine the convenience of having your funds deposited to your savings account instantly? =P

Just dreaming. Hehe.
Old 09-07-2002, 21:25   #8
chin
SGWHT Veteran Member

chin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by xharine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraystone
DBS got? how much leh?
I also don't know. I really want to find out, because Worldpay is too expensive, and Paypal has too many trust issues, and well if it's DBS, can you imagine the convenience of having your funds deposited to your savings account instantly? =P

Just dreaming. Hehe.
If DBS rate is affordable, why not?

Paypal is not for large transaction...

What about 2checkout?
chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 22:35   #9
royong
SGWHT Administrators

In reply to DBS Cpay.. I think its not the solution that you are looking for. If I am not mistaken.... DoorKeeper and Xharine were asking for what is known as 3rd Party Payment Gateway Providers... ok ...ok I know the term changes ... some call it CC gateways, some say they are payment clearing houses .... but basically what they do is they let you use their merchant account to clear Credit Card transactions...

DBS Cpay does not do this ...

Read the following from DBS..

General FAQs
Who needs the service?
Any Internet merchant who wishes to accept credit and debit card for online payment needs this service.

What are the benefits offered by DBS c2pay?
The benefits offered are:
A complete one-stop Internet solution
Affordable installation
Easy integration
Convenient and secure
Real-time credit card processing over the Internet
Solid security features

How do I sign up for the service?
You may contact DBS Cards at 1800-834 1852 to apply.

Who is DCS, Brokat and Picmond?
DBS Computer Services (DCS), Brokat Asia and DBS together developed this solution. Picmond works with the merchants to implement this service.

How long does it take for me to get the service ready for my online mall?
The duration depends on the complexity of the Mall. If the appropriate hardware and software are in place, it will take between 14 and 21 days for the payment service to be ready.

If the Merchant Mall is not available, where can I get help?
Merchants can approach a System Integration company like Picmond for assistance. To contact Picmond, e-mail the company at enquiry@picmond.com.

As a merchant, what should I do if there is a payment problem?
If there is a payment problem, the merchant should call the Technical Helpdesk, which is manned by Picmond. Picmond will liaise with the Merchant Mall administrator to fix the problem over the phone. If the problem persists, an engineer will be sent to you to tackle the problem.

What are the operating hours of Picmond's Technical Helpdesk?
The hours are 9 am to 6 pm, Mondays to Fridays, except Public Holidays.

Is DBS c2pay secure?
Yes, DBS c2pay offers maximum security. To ensure optimum security and to prevent fraud, transactional data like credit/debit card information and the purchase amount are encrypted securely so that everyone involved - the customer, you, the merchant and the bank - gets an additional layer of security. Transactions are processed online, in real time. While the customer waits, the system checks the credit/debit card, for example, that it has not been reported stolen, or expired, and that the credit limit has not been exceeded.

Technical FAQs
What are the technical components of this payment service?
Web Server (SSL recommended)
Mall Server (with suitable CGI / HTTP - based interface)
Bank Payment Gateway
Payment Software and Merchant Certificates*
Mall and Payment Software Interface*
* Components to be installed by Picmond

Do I need additional hardware for this service?
No additional hardware is required. This solution can sit on the same hardware as the merchant mall. However, an additional 64MB RAM and 2GB hard disk space are needed for the installation of the payment software.
If you intend to maintain a separate server for greater robustness, the recommended configuration is:
Intel Pentium 266Mhz (minimum)
128MB RAM, 4.2GB HDD, CDROM
Ethernet Card 10/100
Minimum NT 4.0 with SP5 or Sun Solaris 2.6

E-commerce is no more the way of the future; today, it is the way to do business in Singapore and around the world. We can help you be a part of it with DBS c2pay. c2pay is a payment method that lets you handle all credit and debit card transactions online.

The solution
DBS c2pay provides a secure platform for MasterCard, Visa credit card, and MasterCard debit card payments. Payments received are deposited directly into your bank account the next working day. DBS c2pay is easily set up, and can be operational in just three weeks or shorter. No worries about technical details for you - we take care of everything.

Value-added features for merchants
DBS c2pay allows you to set your own limits and monitor your transactions accordingly:

There is a Monthly Transaction Limit that is calculated based on your monthly turnover. DBS requires a standby Letter of Credit to cover any charge back situations that may occur within six months from the date of purchase. For transactions that are above the limit set, you can either choose to receive payment six months after the transaction date or increase your standby Letter of Credit to receive payment the following day.
You can set a Transaction Limit. For instance, if your largest ticket item is $5,000 and you set your transaction limit for that amount, DBS will alert you when a purchase amount is higher than that. You can then confirm the transaction with your customer and advise us if you would like us to accept the transaction.

Another limit you can set is a Daily Transaction Count Limit. This determines the number of transactions you would like to accept in a day. If the number of transactions exceeds this number, we will inform you and you can decide on a daily basis if you would like to accept or reject the additional transactions.

In addition, we provide a fraud count service and will flag any transactions made three or more times on the same item by the same cardholder, on the same day. You will also receive notification of the number of charge backs received in a month and of sudden surges in transactions. These services are provided free of charge to help you administer your account.

Merchant Sign-up
Call us today at 1800-834 1852 and in no time you'll be doing online business 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.

Conclusion ... DBS is not a CC clearing house .. its an entire system !
Old 09-07-2002, 22:54   #10
royong
SGWHT Administrators

I have searched for 3rd party payment gateways and findings were....

in Singapore ... World Pay would seem the most logical in terms of their brand name, experience support and speed ... but they are not the cheapest. Actually, come to think of it... Singapore doesn't really have that many 3rd party payment gateways.... see a few of them and although I know I have their information somehow in my office filing cabinet.. none of them stands out ! Sadly only WorldPay...

But if you are looking for such a service in the abroad, you are in luck... look at this listing, compiled by Navin, Kualo.Com :

2Checkout
URL: http://www.2checkout.com
Accepts: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover/Novus, Diners Club and JCB and derivatives of those brands, Online checks.
Fees: $49 setup fee
$0.45 per transaction plus 5.5% of transaction amount
Chargeback Fee: $10-$30
Billing in US$
Payments made by bank wire or check every 15 days.
Bank wire fees: free for US bank accounts / international wire starts at $36 and goes down $3 for every hundred dollars in gross sales
Checks are mailed free of cost.

HostCharge
URL: http://www.hostcharge.com
Accepts: Visa, Visa Premier, Visa International, Visa Electron, MasterCard, MasterCard Gold, EuroCard/MasterCard, EuroCard, Maestro, Diners Club, JCB, E-Carte Bleue, Carte Bleue, Carte Bleue Affaires, American Express and Darty American Express
Fees: $19-$39 setup fee
$0.50-$0.75 per transaction plus 4%-4.5% of transaction amount
$2.95-$9.95 monthly fee
Chargeback Fee: $12
Billing in 56 currencies.
Bank Wire fees: $6 for US bank accounts; $30 for international bank accounts. On each USD 100.00 transfered the wire fee is reduced by USD 00.50, but the fee is never less than USD 04.00
Checks are mailed at a $1 cost.

Revecom
Accepts: Visa, Mastercard, Novus/Discover, American Express, Diners Club, and JCB cards
URL: http://www.revecom.com
Demo: http://revecom.com/services/tppsale/demo.htm
Fees: $49.00 setup fee
$1 per transaction plus 3.95% of transaction amount
Billing in 180 different currencies.
Payments are made every week.

WorldPay

URL: http://www.worldpay.com/
Fees: http://worldpay.com/uk/pricing/prici...lddirect.shtml

PayPal
URL: http://www.paypal.com
Accepts: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express
Fees: 0.7% + 30 to 2.9% + 30

ProPay
URL: http://www.propay.com
Fees: $35 setup
3.5% of transaction plus $0.35

Clickbank
URL: http://www.clickbank.net
Accepts: online checks, Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Eurocard, Bravo, Visa Debit, Mastercard Debit, and Novus
Fees: $49.95 setup fee
$1 per transaction plus 7.5% of transaction amount

EchoInc

URL: http://www.echoinc.com
Fees: $99 setup fee
$19.95/mo
$0.30 per transaction plus 1.99% - 2.49% of transaction amount[/b]

PS - I am NOT responsible for the accuracy of the information shown above. Please re-confirm the details with the respective service providers.

Please note that all prices shown are in USD not Sing....

Please feel free to post your experiences with any of these service providers.
Old 09-07-2002, 23:15   #11
DoorKeeper
SGWHT Veteran Member

WorldPay is the only one with an office in Singapore, I think.

Singapore Job Sites
Old 10-07-2002, 00:07   #12
royong
SGWHT Administrators

Right on.. my man...

Office is at Suntec City !
Old 10-07-2002, 02:57   #13
xharine
SGWHT Newbie

Well, I would rather have a real merchant system than use a 3rd party one seriously....I would consider C2pay if it's affordable for people like us. =)
Old 10-09-2002, 15:38   #14
Heng Chai
SGWHT Veteran Member

Heng Chai has a spectacular aura aboutHeng Chai has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by xharine
Well, I would rather have a real merchant system than use a 3rd party one seriously....I would consider C2pay if it's affordable for people like us. =)
My vote goes to WorldPay. Still the best IMO considering they have a local presence, can pay to local banks and have pretty good customer service (called them once to enquire).
Old 10-09-2002, 16:05   #15
chin
SGWHT Veteran Member

chin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by SG.GS
My vote goes to WorldPay. Still the best IMO considering they have a local presence, can pay to local banks and have pretty good customer service (called them once to enquire).
Processing charges
Setup Fee (non refundable) - S$138
Annual Payment Processing Fee (includes 3 free currencies) - S$398
Additional charge per currency - S$138

Service charges per transaction*
Credit Cards - 4.5%
Fraud-detection service (WorldAlert) - S$0.16

Remittance Charges**
Remittance in any currency - 2.50

Kinda expensive for new start up like me.
chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 22:19   #16
Heng Chai
SGWHT Veteran Member

Guess so. Paypal or 2checkout would be a better bet for you.
Old 16-09-2002, 15:14   #17
hugoduke
SGWHT Newbie

hugoduke is on a distinguished road
I have check with DBS. Their C2PAY service has been discontinue.
Just to update you guys!
hugoduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2002, 17:36   #18
royong
SGWHT Administrators

Quote:
Originally posted by hugoduke
I have check with DBS. Their C2PAY service has been discontinue.
Just to update you guys!
Thanks for the update ... so that's 1 less option ...

any more options to add to the list ?
Old 24-09-2002, 10:52   #19
hugoduke
SGWHT Newbie

hugoduke is on a distinguished road
One more options that I have check with. Citibank and UOB.
They do have similar but I am unable to get more details.
hugoduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2002, 21:40   #20
Marcus Lau
SGWHT Newbie

Marcus Lau is on a distinguished road
Hi Hugoduke,

I am working in Citibank, i try to get information on that ok.

Best regards,
Marcus Lau.
Old 24-09-2002, 22:26   #21
royong
SGWHT Administrators

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus Lau
Hi Hugoduke,

I am working in Citibank, i try to get information on that ok.

Best regards,
Marcus Lau.

Would like to know what Citibank can offer for Internet payments and Internet banking .... I've got a Citibank CC and hardly ever use it coz .. I don't know anything about their services ...
Old 25-09-2002, 00:11   #22
Heng Chai
SGWHT Veteran Member

Roy: come come. I use it for you. :evil
Old 25-09-2002, 00:22   #23
Marcus Lau
SGWHT Newbie

Marcus Lau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by royong
Would like to know what Citibank can offer for Internet payments and Internet banking .... I've got a Citibank CC and hardly ever use it coz .. I don't know anything about their services ...
Hi Roy,

I advise you privately as i am not suppose to disclose.

Thanks for your kind attention.

Best regards,
Marcus Lau.
Old 25-09-2002, 05:57   #24
bkm
SGWHT Newbie

bkm has a spectacular aura aboutbkm has a spectacular aura about
I have spare 2checkout accounts if anyone is interested.

Old 25-09-2002, 10:22   #25
Heng Chai
SGWHT Veteran Member

bkm: Money goes to your bank account?
Old 25-09-2002, 12:20   #26
fred
SGWHT Premium Member

fred is a glorious beacon of lightfred is a glorious beacon of lightfred is a glorious beacon of lightfred is a glorious beacon of lightfred is a glorious beacon of lightfred is a glorious beacon of light
i'm interested. Wat are u going to offer, and wat returns u want? can PM me.

as for citibank, if i'm not wrong, u need to have a ready credit account in order to do internet banking. Correct me if i'm wrong. coz previously i have to pay my bill by

1. transfer money from DBS to Citi Ready Creadit
2. transfer money from Ready Creadit Account to my clear card account, to pay my monthly bill

So i suppose they still dont have IB service for normal CC.
Old 25-09-2002, 15:24   #27
Scroller
SGWHT Newbie

Scroller is on a distinguished road
If I do remember correctly, both UOB and Citibank's solution charges a rather high premium for each transactions. Furthermore, it will require you to have a merchant account with them. And depending on the kind of amount you're expecting to transact, you will need to put in a significantly larger amount as deposit in your merchant account to cover charge backs. My opinion is .. if you're just starting off, PayPal might be the best choice even though it take ages to get the money to be transferred to your local bank. If not, WorldPay will be th next choice, but it will involve a bigger upfront investment.
Scroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2002, 20:57   #28
bkm
SGWHT Newbie

bkm has a spectacular aura aboutbkm has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
SG.GS bkm: Money goes to your bank account?
hehe, can also ;)

but no la, everything can be customised.

It is a lifetime account afterall and I hasn't use it for quite a number of months already.
btw, I have several payment gateways

I would consider 2checkout to be quite ok la, good support and provide bank wire although sometimes transfer a bit slow.

Paypals, as referred by some friends, seems ok too but recently a lot of new rules, so got some problem i think.

:p
Old 26-09-2002, 09:23   #29
fred
SGWHT Premium Member

fred is a glorious beacon of lightfred is a glorious beacon of lightfred is a glorious beacon of lightfred is a glorious beacon of lightfred is a glorious beacon of lightfred is a glorious beacon of light
Paypal has put quite alot of effort in preventing fraud
Old 26-09-2002, 13:28   #30
royong
SGWHT Administrators

okay ... apparenting in the web hosting business everyone is using PayPal and/or 2Checkout...

since some of you are already familiar with one or both of these ... could anyone enlighten me as to the process of site integration ... is this difficult ?

Mmm... may I add that I have zero programming skills ... reading and understanding simple HTML is the best I can do ...