Go Back   Singapore Web Hosting Talk > TECHNICAL > Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum Webmaster related issues such as web design and development, managing a community, how to create an online presence, etc. Share with us your ideas and innovations.

Old 09-07-2002, 19:24   #1
DoorKeeper
SGWHT Veteran Member

DoorKeeper has a spectacular aura aboutDoorKeeper has a spectacular aura about
For Freelance Web Designers Only

How do you find customers ? Thru friend of a friend of a friend in a very informal way ? Or do you like set up a proper business and market yourself ? Do have problems collecting payments ?

Singapore Job Sites
DoorKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2002, 19:45   #2
chin
SGWHT Veteran Member

chin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to beholdchin is a splendid one to behold
From what I know , Singapore have a local freelance community called Deltaworkz at www.deltaworkz.com
chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 21:08   #3
xharine
SGWHT Newbie

xharine is on a distinguished road
Hard to believe but I get most of my business through the web. They do a search, found my site, and then send my an email from there. It helps to have a strong portfolio.

Only now and then I get some from contacts.
Old 10-07-2002, 13:05   #4
eyes_only
SGWHT Newbie

eyes_only is on a distinguished road
xharine!

Ok can i ask u something??
Lets say a customer contacted u and u agree to setup a web for him...abt the domain name and the actual server, do u pick the webhosting company or the company chose the webhost themselves??

And for the payment for webhost, do ask the company to go and pay themselves or you go yrself to as part of yr service??

By company i mean yr customer.
eyes_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 21:32   #5
xharine
SGWHT Newbie

I'll tell them I am not a webhost, but can offer them some reliable web hosting and domain registration. They will pay for it themselves....however maybe I'll get a reseller plan to host my own clients one day.
Old 11-07-2002, 00:50   #6
eyes_only
SGWHT Newbie

eyes_only is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the enlightenment.

I realise most web-host are enthusistically offering their web designers to help although you tell them that yuo only need the host/domain name and is going to design the site yourself.

I guess its a way for them to get more money. They will try ways and means to 'help' you do something. And that always come with a charge.
How do deal with them..??

*not all web-hosting companies do it, so if u have a web-hosting company bear with me
eyes_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2002, 01:20   #7
xharine
SGWHT Newbie

Just stick to your guns and tell them u want hosting only. Or just go to hosting only friendly hosts out there....=) So many of them.
Old 31-07-2002, 23:01   #8
pixeltrash
SGWHT Newbie

pixeltrash is on a distinguished road
May I noe how can I ensure I get paid as a freelancer? do I make my client chop and sign an agreement first b4 starting work? what do u ppl do normally? do 50% collect payment or what?
pixeltrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 00:15   #9
Duskette
SGWHT Moderator

Duskette has a spectacular aura aboutDuskette has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltrash
May I noe how can I ensure I get paid as a freelancer? do I make my client chop and sign an agreement first b4 starting work? what do u ppl do normally? do 50% collect payment or what?
change the ftp password first. show your client the works, dun pay, del immediately.

else do everything on ur laptop and show it to client. Happy, paid then upload.
Duskette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 02:57   #10
xharine
SGWHT Newbie

I usually do collect 50% downpayment.
Old 27-08-2002, 00:00   #11
desray
SGWHT Newbie

desray is on a distinguished road
I do accept 50% down payment too...
I will normally burn a copy of the interim product and use my Laptop as a media to showcase to the client.

Once they give the green light to go with it...I'll give my 100% to it...and normally on the average a design can be come out within 2 hours (max)...Normally will recommend client to use a template for easy navigation and to maintain uniformity throughout...

desray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2002, 00:34   #12
birdfoot
SGWHT Newbie

birdfoot has a spectacular aura aboutbirdfoot has a spectacular aura about
hmmmz... im a newbie freelancer here... actualli, im more of a developer than a designer... however, i wld like 2 b more versatile n do designing as well... i saw xharine's portfolio a long time ago and wanted 2 do a portfolio 4 myself... but 4 a guy like me who's got oni knowledge in photoshop tools but no real professional experience in creative designing, do u tink i stand a chance out there??

do tell me seriously, i wont b offended... im pretty lost rite now... i did a few freelance wrk but nvr realli had the chance 2 do designing cos all my leads came frm designers... lol... i ended up doin all the html, image optimizing n templating stuff tat i believe evn a sec sch kid can do... so im wondering if i shld go on tryin 2 do designing or get myself a boring job in development where oni my html skills wil b employed... *sigh*

damn... im gonna get my portfolio up asap!

a few better sites i was involved in:
http://www.skywards.com (when i was wrkin in an IT consultancy)
http://www.thesoupspoon.com
http://www.snipsnclips.com
Old 14-09-2002, 08:50   #13
royong
SGWHT Administrators

royong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to beholdroyong is a splendid one to behold
birdfoot, the sites actually look very good. Nice work.
royong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2002, 14:46   #14
birdfoot
SGWHT Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by royong
birdfoot, the sites actually look very good. Nice work.
geeez.. royong, yea i know... but 2 bad i wasnt the 1 who designed it... i was the 1 who did the odd jobs... hehehehhe... but il test out my designing capabilities when i do up my own personal site!
Old 25-11-2002, 21:53   #15
libra
SGWHT Newbie

libra is on a distinguished road
i think the best way to get clients is through the yellow pages. it takes hell lot of work, but it somehow works out. let them know you are a freelance, and those companies are twice as likely to hire you. reason? cheap. I get an average return of 1 client per 80 companies called. so it could mean that you can spend a week calling and get 2 clients in all. tiring, but if you want money, thats the way to go about it.

charge wise, i think that taking a 15% downpayment is good enough. usually companies pay, nobody wants to get into court over.. yeah.. a freelance designer. they will usually defer payment, but in the end, they'll still pay. I haven't figured out what I'll do when someone stops paying one day. hire a tua hee long? (just cracking)

webhost wise, I usually let them know that a third party is hosting for you. excellent. know why? evades legal responsibility. please do find a good host though, cause you'll get fried if the host sucks. tell them that you'll pick one for them, and also give them the option to pick on themselves (don't get commission though). yeap.

* now i got a question for you guys.. how much do you charge? like for a site without a product page and shopping carts, meaning just a site, not for e-commerce, no credit cards crap. like.. a main page, about, services, contact, query forms. how much will you charge?
Old 26-11-2002, 02:09   #16
alva chew
SGWHT Newbie

alva chew is on a distinguished road
This is a service that is perfect for price discrimination. You can charge as low as $5 per page or as high as $250 per page. It boils down to what your client is willing to pay.
alva chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2002, 03:18   #17
webline
SGWHT Newbie

webline has a spectacular aura aboutwebline has a spectacular aura about
i think for pricing structure wise, it really depends on your profile and PR (public relations). (^_^)

Galen is a IT junkie who likes to write about video games, IT gadgets and web hosting.
webline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2002, 04:00   #18
birdfoot
SGWHT Newbie

i rather say like, how well you can 'smoke' your way thru (that is, if ya wanna charge them high...) cos it dpends on their budget and how convincing you can get them use up most of their budget... but i should think $30 per page would be somewhat reasonable... but in times like these, some clients may still frown upon that rate... best to enquire about their budget 1st, telling them how much you can do for them at that kinda price... then decided how ya gonna fix the rates so that it will be beneficial to you yet attractive to them... its not easy though... really...
Old 29-11-2002, 10:57   #19
alva chew
SGWHT Newbie

I usually charge on a project basis. You should not let the clients know your page rate or else they come up with crazy ideas like can squeeze this and that into one page, that kind of thing.

Come to think of it, my rate floats around $80-$150 per page.
Old 29-11-2002, 16:19   #20
birdfoot
SGWHT Newbie

well, i believe even in freelance work there should be some form of black and white that comes in the form of SLA. It should state the effort, acceptance of amendments, blah blah that safeguards the interests of the freelancer and as a compromise between client n vendor. i tink tat would keep their crazy ideas off alittle... but sometimes they would still come back wif wierd stuff n it depends whether ya wanna b a good cop or bad cop then...
Old 30-11-2002, 00:18   #21
alva chew
SGWHT Newbie

SLA is a must. But there are times when it's wise to just give that extra service for customer satisfaction.
Old 10-03-2003, 22:30   #22
birdfoot
SGWHT Newbie

yea manz, i get what you mean... people are getting really crafty during times like these... and also, alittle cheapo...

i usually turn down flat a client who gives me some absurd requirements for peanuts... just let them find someone else and if they can't, they mite just ask you for a re-negotiation if they still have the cheek to... but don't get too greedy though... if they are not paying you that great but still at a reasonable price, i think it'll do... times are bad and they are trying to save some $$ as well (as much as they can)... so for me, as long as the price is ok, i wouldn't mind sweating abit for them... when their business gets better, they mite still remember you!

the best way to start off is to advertise yourself among people whom you know... let them know what you can offer them and possibilities are that if they (or someone they know) require abit of work, they could refer to you... probably have to start out abit cheap first (to remain competitive but not cheap until its not worth the effort) since it's a reference... that's where you can get to know your first customer... and from there, it's alittle bit of networking here and there and maybe more self-advertising...

cheers
Old 13-04-2003, 20:55   #23
poshalu
SGWHT Newbie

poshalu is on a distinguished road
Is Singapore business sector is totally has web presence. I mean upto what persent of companies in singapore has web presence? and how many are going to? how many are not having?.
I just need all these because I want to know is there any web development business still in Singapore?

Regards
Ram
poshalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 07:38   #24
fraud-free
SGWHT Newbie

fraud-free is on a distinguished road
hi..i would need someone to help me disign a website.. more to a professional looking site.. frankly speaking i cant pay a lot but pls do email me at 023909B@nyp.edu.sg for your offers..thanks!!
fraud-free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2003, 10:01   #25
sgbot
SGWHT Newbie

sgbot is on a distinguished road
greetings everyone! my friend had just created a free lance msn group for Singapore IT workers. If you are interested to join juz mailto:novaworkz@hotmail.com
Old 23-08-2003, 11:09   #26
DoorKeeper
SGWHT Veteran Member

DoorKeeper has a spectacular aura aboutDoorKeeper has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by sgbot
greetings everyone! my friend had just created a free lance msn group for Singapore IT workers. If you are interested to join juz mailto:novaworkz@hotmail.com
sgbot - you should start a new thread instead.

Singapore Job Sites
DoorKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2004, 13:53   #27
chrisranjana
SGWHT Newbie

chrisranjana is on a distinguished road
Word of mouth works best too.
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
http://www.chrisranjana.com
chrisranjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2004, 22:25   #28
Aloysius
Banned

Aloysius is on a distinguished road
This is old thread, but would like to add-on that
Quote:
I'll tell them I am not a webhost, but can offer them some reliable web hosting and domain registration. They will pay for it themselves....however maybe I'll get a reseller plan to host my own clients one day.
The latter could be a better idea, since you get more control of what you're doing, therefore minimise the risk of being screwed up, that's definitely if you know what you're doing. Moreover, it'll be at best that if cost is a matter, to dissipate those more critical sites at better managed server, those more relax sites at servers that are more for budget, in my opinon.

About word of mouth, somethings it can be a tripping stone too. Imagine, it's a close friend's business, it's not easy for you to quote higher price, and reject bargaining of price, should he/she does so. And when things are not done as he/she expected, things might sour, yet you cannot do much about it, e.g. if it's an anonymous customer that you met for the first time, you can easily shun the customer off and drop the deal. Since it's a friend, you'll have to give in most of the time, just to maintain the friendship. But afterall, it'll be case by case, depending on individual's personality.
Aloysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 11:56   #29
dennis
SGWHT Premium Member

dennis has a spectacular aura aboutdennis has a spectacular aura aboutdennis has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by xharine
I usually do collect 50% downpayment.

wow! i am impressed, saw your portfolio didn't you that u designed the posted for 'Another Heaven' and hivemail's website
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:26   #30
xharine
SGWHT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis
wow! i am impressed, saw your portfolio didn't you that u designed the posted for 'Another Heaven' and hivemail's website
Thank you for your kind words. Yeah I did hivemail's website a couple of years back I think....but now I don't really freelance anymore :P Thanks again. =)